🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Now or wait?

Started by
10 comments, last by way2lazy2care 14 years ago
Quote: Original post by Tom Sloper
Quote: Original post by Altourus
my city for instance hosts a hobbiest game developer content yearly

"Hobbiest" is more "hobby" than "hobbier"? (^_^)
I think you meant to say "hobbyist."
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hobbyist
Quote: Original post by szecs
How can one run into an inside person? Or it's simply a huge luck?

Yeah, running into somebody from the game industry can happen just by dumb luck. I've found myself in the same plane with other game industry people. I even sat next to a rapper one time.
But if you want to try to meet them, just network like described in the networking FAQ.
It's not easy even on expos or events like that, because the person has probably spoken with 50 guys just like me that day.

Yeah, you're right. It's too hard. Forget I said anything. Guess you'll have to go with the luck thing. :rolleyes:
Hard, but it doesn't mean I don't do that. Okay, I'm a mechanical engineer (er... graduated as that), and expos are not very common. I've been on 3 so far: no vacancies, or only for students, but "send some open applications". Did that.
But anyways, the theoretical question still stands: run into an inside person on the bus/airplane?

Sure, sometimes I go to pubs (if it fits into the budget), maybe I flash my uni ring, and someone recognizes it...
Advertisement
But anyways, the theoretical question still stands: run into an inside person on the bus/airplane?

Like tom said, you never know who you'll run into. I guess the best example that I can come up with is that the family I lived with last year has a cousin that works in the industry, and they have my contact info and website. If my portfolio looked like a turd, which it could, then that person might stumble onto my turd of a website.

Another example is that my mom travels a lot with her company. She's run into family members and friends of people in the industry. You never know how people will stumble (figuratively or literally) into your life.

Having your portfolio looking good all the time is the difference between being, "That cool guy with lots of potential I ran into at the bar," and having a job offer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement