🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Boarding School

Started by
10 comments, last by Ravyne 13 years, 8 months ago
If you have found a boarding school, Contact your family friend who have already experience boarding school in there life.
[Spammy off-topic link deleted]
best of luck.

[Edited by - Tom Sloper on October 23, 2010 9:38:55 AM]
Advertisement
You're probably going to be fairly unlikely to find a boarding school with game-specific elements, though you should be able to find at least a few which offer programs for the arts (if you're interested in graphics, writing or design) and some which offer at least introductory computer science classes.

What you really want to focus on, though, is a school which provides strong fundamentals that will prepare you for your post-secondary studies. I, for example, went to a small, public high school in a rural area -- I was already interested in becoming a programmer, and specifically a games programmer. My school didn't really have anything in the way of CS courses -- we had word processing, some basic HTML class, an "advanced" computers class which was largely self-directed and reviewed/graded by the instructor and eventually a 2-year course which would earn students a Cisco Networking certification -- I ended up taking each of these because they were either required or they had some value.

Probably more importantly though, I took all the advanced math classes that were available -- I even took my college-level algebra course twice, because I ran out of math classes to take and just wanted to keep those skills fresh. By the time I had finished high school, I had exposure to geometry, calculus, statistics and college credit (through the programs at my high school) in algebra and physics. I also spent a year working as an assistant to the district computer/network administrator for an hour each day. All of this was valuable in my college career and the time since. The only classes I really regret not taking in high school ended up being chemistry (would have been nice to have more varied science education) and introductory auto mechanics (would have been nice to know a little more about cars -- having since discovered how much money you can save doing some stuff yourself.)

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Just my 2 cents:

As people said, you won't find schools specializing in game development; pretty much everywhere, the most advanced CS course you can take is AP. At Phillips Academy (Andover) (I haven't heard about such a thing elsewhere, but i'm sure it exists) there is an "Independent Project" program. Once you finish AP, you can do an IP in a certain aspect of game dev (or anything else; you pick the topic), under the supervision and guidance of a mentor in that field.

This isn't the kind of thing that you will find on schools' websites. I'm sure other good schools mentioned in this thread have an equivalent, but I haven't heard of it.

Also, don't set your mind on game development as a certain career. Have you done any programming or design? Have you taken any courses in chem, physics, bio, philosophy, high level math, decent history, classics, etc. ? Probably not. Broaden your horizons; you don't know what you will want to go into. Also, why the game industry? Considering that you probably don't have much experience in programming OR design, you probably shouldn't set such high-level goals when you aren't sure what you will be doing every day at your job.

Finally, if you want a head start before college, you WILL need to do stuff on your own. Whether you do that through an IP program or through books or through online tutorials, there's no avoiding it. Its also a very good idea to learn to teach yourself from books; its a valuable skill.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement