🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need a plot, somthing funny.

Started by
5 comments, last by MrBlue 22 years, 9 months ago
I have developed a cartoon character and I love thoes cartoonish funny games like the Larry games, Full Throttle and Space Quest 6. So I want to make one myself to be a real gutbuster with a cartoonish setting of a twisted city with awkwardly standing building that would topple over in real life and really funny parts of the game consisting of mostly adult jokes and things that make fun of different movies and people sorta like how in the Simpsons they make fun of stuff. Anyway I need help on a plot that I could pull all of these things together. Just some info on the main character who as of yet has no name but is an avid magazine colletor living in a small basement apartment his job is that of a product tester at drugsRus.inc
Advertisement
A quest plot would bring this together - either a quest for a very rare edition of a magazine or perhaps to stop the evil guys straightening out the city (literally in this case).

What you need is to have your guy move around so that he can encounter the situations where the jokes can be told and the movie stuff done.
I have some concept sketches of buildings made out of nude sculptures and segments, if you want them. Good for a red light district, a museam or hotel of erotica, or a really high class red light district.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Well. I think you should make a puzzle/action game. With little sub quests and bonus issions. Like, hmm, what was that game.. er.. Oh yeah. buster Bunny Busts Loose for SNES. LOL. It was so dumb it was funny. Good luck.

"I''''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
BUSTER BUNNY BUSTS LOSE!! Jesus!! what a game, I loved teh american foot ball bit. Damn that takes me back a few years.

I always liekd teh humour in the Monkey Island games, it was on two levels, a visual slapstick for the sub-100''s (non-pc I know) and then subtleyty for the +100''s.

I thikn subtlety is an underused tool in games, any game can benefit from subtlety, grphical subtlty, sound subtlty, plot subtlyty.

Incase you didn''t guess, I am in favour of subtlty in humerous games
Game play over graphics anyday. Best game ever? The Elder Scrolls Daggerfall
What ever happened to this idea? I wanted to see where it was going. Mr. Blue, maybe if you posted your cartoon character it would inspire people?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

The funniest games are always graphic adventures.

Period.

If you want a funny plot, have your character search for something utterly trivial, eg a lost baseball cap, or the quarter he dropped just as he was about to call his girlfriend(I''m not from America, so I don''t know how much the call might actually cost), all the time going to more and more ridiculous lengths and unwittingly causing really important things to happen as he goes, always completely failing to notice them, as he tries to retrieve his bottle of ketchup or his pet hamster or whatever.

Think of what happens to the american flag at the end of Day of the tentacle, you''ll see what I mean.

Building a spaceship out of garbage and flying across the universe to retrieve the last quarter till payday, or doing something similar, should work a treat.

If you''re anything like me, you''ll have a couple of friends who are unbelievably warped, weird or generally prone to do stupid things at random moments, but are also fun to be around. If you can, base the central characters behaviour patterns on them.

Most important, the best comedy characters are always deadpan, morally relaxed, and have the uncanny ability to be completely unfazed by absolutely anything the world can throw at them (including sock monkeys, atomic doughnuts, spontaneously imploding bathtubs and five hundred crates of size eleven bowling shoes on a high speed train bound for Oulu, Finland), weaving their bizarre way through life with a "seen it all before" attitude.

Cases in point: Sam and Max, Simon the Sorcerer, Dalbozz of Gurth, Burns Flipper, Drew Blanc, the narrator for space quest four and six, and of course, Rincewind the Wizard.
"If you go into enough detail, everything becomes circular reasoning." - Captain Insanity

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement