🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

An alternative idea for RPG class system

Started by
1 comment, last by Praetor Andreas 22 years, 10 months ago
I''ve grown pretty sick and tired of the "old" class system in RPG''s. I''d have a new idea, but it requires a lot of work and nerves to implement. First, when the player starts a new game, an empty book opens up on his screen. He is then given like 20-30 options (chapters of story), from which he can choose to build his/her story. When the initial chapter (number uno ) has been made, the adventure begins, and the game engine generates the initial startup stuff. And all the way along the game, the engine automatically adds paragraphs to the book. The user can also make his/her own notes to it. I think it''s a rather thrilling idea, if I can get it working. Oh, the "book" would also be available for printing (via a menu) any time during the game. Please add to this suggestion or flame me... I need what they call constructive criticism now. - A.J. Oja. - Lead Programmer/Project Leader DiMTEX Software
- A.J. Oja. -Lead Programmer/Project LeaderDiMTEX Software
Advertisement
This sounds like a really cool idea, and I think a new game coming out called Project Ego implements the book and storyteller idea in a very similar way. Just something to look into. Other than that, I always felt an rpg was about building a character history, as well as just building a character. With new technologies, soon we''ll be able to really have what has happened to your character in the past, affect how they are in the present. Imagine a game where your reputation can actually proceed you. Villagers and villians alike "know" who you are, and that affects how you progress through the game world.

Peace
Adam C.

Back from the Dead.
Would you ask me, drop the ''class'' thing entirely. People can do something based on their ''traits''. Not the class they choose at the start of the game.

Everyone should be able to do everything. Though if you want to do something special (cast a spell, build a high-tech fighter craft, open that new fancy lock on that strange door), you might need to research a bit...

And don''t work with char ponts either... Or levels... That will always lead to power gaming Take an example in Arcanum. You can get a total of 63 char points in the game. But that ain''t enough to max out it *everything*. So people start to whine that they want to go higher then level 50... (every level is a point)... Ruins the game if you ask me.

But then again, who asks me? Noone

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement