🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Creation Company.

Started by
6 comments, last by Obscure 13 years, 8 months ago
Hey all I am currently a sophomore in college and am about to declare my Major and minor. I want a Information Technology Major (A lot of programming math and computer stuff) with a Entrepreneurship minor. Is this what I should be going for if I want to start my own company based out of Florida? Thanks!
Regards,
Stu
Advertisement
Sounds like a good start to me. What part of Florida?
Quote: Original post by Admin God
am about to declare my Major and minor. I want a Information Technology Major (A lot of programming math and computer stuff) with a Entrepreneurship minor. Is this what I should be going for if I want to start my own company based out of Florida?

Sure, Stu. That should be fine. And if you can, an MBA afterwards -- that'd make you all the more prepared to start your own company.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Good deal! And I am not sure exactly where in Florida at the moment still deciding on that, more than likely on the gulf coast, central area. Around Sarasota. :D

Oh and also, before I start my own company should i try getting a job at Blizzard, EA or another large firm to get my feet wet and know what it takes? Im in the process of developing a GDD for a possible indie company for now to give me some experience leading a team to a simple title. Any other ideas? Thanks!
Good deal!... Oh and also, before I start my own company should i try getting a job at Blizzard, EA or another large firm to get my feet wet and know what it takes? Im in the process of developing a GDD for a possible indie company for now to give me some experience leading a team to a simple title. Any other ideas?

Yes. Read FAQ 29 (scroll up and click the tiny blue "View Forum FAQ" link).

Awesome! So my guess was pretty solid then eh? Maybe I missed it but is there a recommended time to stay in the game company before branching out on your own? Or just stay until you are a respected leader. Thanks again for all your help!
Maybe I missed it but is there a recommended time to stay in the game company before branching out on your own? Or just stay until you are a respected leader.

"It depends." It may take you 10 years to get to where you have enough contacts and know-how. It might take you only 4. Or you might be the impetuous type, or resentful of authority, or you might otherwise decide "screw it, I'm outta here" and you go off and try.
Nobody can give you a number, God.

...should i try getting a job at Blizzard, EA or another large firm to get my feet wet and know what it takes?

Unless you have $50 million to set up a large firm your start-up (when it happens) is likely to be a small firm. Wouldn't it be more sensible to look for a job at a smaller developer so that you can see how a small firm works.

At Blizzard you will just be a trainee small cog working on a project. You will be a long way down the ladder from where the "running the company" gets done. At a small company you will still be a trainee but you will have a better chance of seeing different areas of the business and will be closer to the people who run the show.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement