🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Which major?

Started by
5 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 8 months ago
I have already been accepted to a college, and I planned on going for computer science. However, I had a campus preview today and discovered there is actually another major that relates to computer science. This interdisciplinary major happens to focus on communication, language, computing, et cetera. Of course, there is not as much math involved in this major but it seems like quite a mix of talents so I'm not sure how marketable it really is. However, the diversity would most likely keep me interested. On a final note, the major is called "Information Sciences". I'd just like some opinions between these two subjects of study.
C++: Where your friends have access to your private members
Advertisement
It depends on you. What are you interested in? What are you good at? What do you hope to do with your life after graduation? You might find it useful to "View Forum FAQ" (scroll up and look for the tiny blue "View Forum FAQ" link).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I'm interested in both of these two, otherwise I wouldn't be debating it. They're both technically interdisciplinary computer science majors, so it really depends on what backing material will help the most. I don't have a college education obviously, so I don't know how much math is needed on a day-to-day programming basis. Further, writing abilities aren't dependent on a college education ( but that will help ). I'm just contemplating the relevance. The Information Sciences major seems to be a garbled mess of quite a few things, but I happen to like most of those subjects. However, the only subject I truly dislike is history; that means I'd really be fine with either. Sometimes I don't like math because it get difficult, but sometimes I don't like English because I have to write ten-page papers on Ibsen. That's just expected of difficult courses. Sometimes mathematic applications are difficult for real-world situations, but there's most likely a class that bridges this gap present in both majors. There is math in both majors, but it's definitely most intense for the plain computer science major.
It does sound like an annoying decision. I know I toyed around with majoring in everything from biology to astrophysics to computer science.

I would imagine that since the majors are pretty similar though(here we have 3 and the first 2 years of study are identical). So if it was me I would take the broader of the two which will give you diversity starting off and later switch majors to the more focused degree if you choose.
Quote: Original post by Fuji
I'm interested in both of these two, otherwise I wouldn't be debating it. They're both technically interdisciplinary computer science majors, so it really depends on what backing material will help the most. ... I don't know how much math is needed on a day-to-day programming basis. Further, writing abilities aren't dependent on a college education ( but that will help ). I'm just contemplating the relevance.

We can't tell you what "will help," because we can't foretell the future. As for "relevance" and what's "needed," those can be factors in your decision but should not be the deciding factors. The most important decision factor really should be your own personal preference based on your interests and abilities.
I think a decision grid will help you sort out the various factors -- help you take the various pros and cons and criteria and make sense out of it all, so you can prioritize and reach an informed decision. There's information on decision grids in the forum FAQ.

I looked at the decision grid (thanks for the tip, by the way) and it seems fairly equal. Now, the InfoSci major seems to cover many more topics, which seems pretty good as I'm not holed into a certain grind of the same subject. Further, I don't think that the InfoSci Major requires learning c++ and instead focuses on Java and such, which I happen to have an affinity for. I never really wanted to make 3D programs, so the Open GL course in the computer science major isn't needed, but I believe that falls in a category of classes you must take three of (thus, it's not required). I love computer science, but I also love a lot of variety. I'm just not sure if such a mixed degree counts for a lot due to the sporadic nature of the classes, but needless to say, there is definitely for me in there somewhere and the required internship will definitely be a big deal. I also have, or will have, credits for some of the courses in both majors by the time I get to college so that's always nice. I think I'll speak with several teachers at school and see their opinions on me going for a particular degree.
Quote: Original post by Fuji
1. I looked at the decision grid (thanks for the tip, by the way) and it seems fairly equal.
2. I think I'll speak with several teachers at school and see their opinions on me going for a particular degree.

1. Then you could just flip a coin! Seriously.
2. EXCELLENT idea!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement