🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Cover letter

Started by
4 comments, last by Palidine 13 years, 7 months ago
Hi again, I'm applying to a position listed here can you give me some comments on my cover letter?

Hello, I’m sending this email to apply for the Game Programmer position you’ve posted on your website. I’ve always had a passion for game development and to that end obtained a degree in Computer Science from the University Of Western Ontario. After graduating I took a job in application development with iLookabout, however I am now looking to change fields and expand my horizons. Since then I have begun to work on programming portfolio of games, these samples include a Nintendo DS game, OpenGL graphical demos and some XNA platform games.

I feel I would be a great fit for your team with my communication skills, knowledge, adaptability and proven ability to deliver products in an agile work environment. Also I feel your company would be a great fit for me with it’s focus on cutting edge portable devices and the casual gaming market. I look forward to having an opportunity to further discuss my education and qualifications. You can contact me through this email address or my cell phone. Also my portfolio is available at htttp://nickcrook.ca

Nicholas Crook
Cell:
Email:

You can view my resume on my portfolio
Edit: Just sent it in so criticism is a moot point for this cover letter, thought it may help me with drafting future ones.

[Edited by - Altourus on November 2, 2010 8:27:15 PM]
Advertisement
Quote: Also I feel your company would be a great fit for me with it's focus on cutting edge portable devices and the casual gaming market.

If I was the reader I might think this: I don't care if we're a good fit for you. Can you catch my attention by providing evidence on why you would fit in our team, produce good work, and overall be an asset rather than a liability?

You alluded to it with the previous sentence:
Quote: I feel I would be a great fit for your team with my communication skills, knowledge, adaptability and proven ability to deliver products in an agile work environment.

but I found it kind of general. Do you have any more specific details?
Proven ability? Where do you prove it?

Anyway, the letter was a bit boring, I didn't really feel like reading it.
Quote: Original post by szecs
Proven ability? Where do you prove it?

Anyway, the letter was a bit boring, I didn't really feel like reading it.

Proven in my last job, which was an agile work place, which was covered in the letter.
I see a lot of I's in that that cover letter, and not enough "You"'s. If you know what I mean.

A company won't bother knowing who you are if you don't grab their attention first. The cover letter should praise them for the games they develop and how you want to work for THEM. Not the other way around.

Praise the company for what they have done, talk about the games you are interested in developing (Especially if you know beforehand what they game company is currently working on) and talk about the abilities you are able to offer to them.

Hope this helps.
Personally I think it's pretty good. I never read cover letters anyway, just go straight to the resume [smile]

-me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement