🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Any role for me to fill in the industry as a straight up math major?

Started by
4 comments, last by Zoner 13 years, 5 months ago
Hello,

I am currently a sophomore Math/Econ major, and recently I decided that I wanted to go into the gaming industry. The problem is, if i wanted to change my major into computer science, then I would not be able to finish school in time. This, of course, doesn't mean that I am not willing to learn about programming, as I am planning on at least getting a minor in computer science. However, since my Major won't be computer science, I was wondering: what kind of job do people get in the gaming industry as a Math major? Also, is my economics degree still worth pursuing?

Thank You.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by kwk0111. what kind of job do people get in the gaming industry as a Math major?
2. Also, is my economics degree still worth pursuing?

1. A.P., A.R., general bookkeeping.
2. Read FAQ 66. (Scroll up and click the "View Forum FAQ" link.)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Well, before there was computer science, there was Math. If you do good with math, you should be able to pick up programming just fine, or so I hear.

I'd advise getting 2 degrees. It will take longer yes but I think it would be worth it. I don't know your situation and maybe it's not an option. Going for any kind of game programming job with a degree in Math and CompSci will look really good. It's ultimately the most bang for your buck. You won't need to take all the GenEd classes again and the math requirements for the CompSci degree are probably already met for you.

It won't get any easier to get degrees once you're 'in the real world' so get them while you can.
Quote: what kind of job do people get in the gaming industry as a Math major?

I've got my Degree in Math/Physics, and I used to be a 3D Graphics Programmer. Back then, Physics wasn't such a big thing in gaming yet, but I imagine nowadays I would be responsible for that.

Quote: Also, is my economics degree still worth pursuing?

If you are 100% certain you want to be part of the Gaming Industry, especially a Dev, it's not necessary.

But keep in mind, the most money you can make as a Mathematician is being involved with economics (Analyst at a Bank, etc..). So I'd say, go for it!

Math is what I would choose if I had a time machine, and some magic ability to convince my younger self to go to class.
http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement