🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A good portfolio?

Started by
10 comments, last by Amyrildora 13 years, 5 months ago
Hello all, Lately I've been putting together my portfolio website, which is broken into 5 different categories. They are Game Design, Programming, Web Design, Modeling, and Animation.

Before I start extensively planning out my portfolio projects I was wondering what you guys would like to see in a portfolio piece. Some pointers would be very much appreciated. Any tips or tricks you guys have would also be appreciated.

What would you like to see in a well organized Portfolio website?

What kind of Modeling projects catches your eye in a portfolio?

What kind of programming pieces would you be surprised to see in a portfolio of a younger person?

I would just like your guys opinion on how to put together the best portfolio I possibly can.

(By the way I'm 15 turning 16 in Feb. So I know I could use any pieces of advice you have for me)

Thanks to all whom answer, Have a great day!!
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Amyrildora
Game Design, Programming, Web Design, Modeling, and Animation.
Web design isn't really a game development topic, so crossing it off.

Pick one job family. Become expert in it. It is fine to pick up a basic knowledge of the others, but becoming expert requires years of work and study.

It is rare for an individual to become expert in more than one. It is extremely rare for an individual to become expert in more than two.

Do you want to be a game designer? They are hired because they know game design, not because of their C++ or Maya skills.

Do you want to be a programmer? Programmers aren't hired because of their skills in Maya or Photoshop.

Do you want to be a modeler or animator or artist? None of these are hired for their programming or game design skills skills.
Yes. As frob said, the portfolio should be focused, not a hodgepodge of everything. See this forum's FAQs (click tiny "View Forum FAQ" link above), and choose a focus.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: Original post by frob
Do you want to be a programmer? Programmers aren't hired because of their skills in Maya or Photoshop.

This is about 95% correct.

It really depend on the type of programmer, if you are trying to become a tools or content pipeline programmer, then know how to use 3D content creation software is very important.
Alright I'll take into consideration which path is right for me. Thanks for your help guys, I will probably post later on when I have studied, reviewed, and chosen my path. Thanks for your suggestions and links. Tom I really love your website! I appreciate it! Once again thanks all for your input.
Quote: Original post by exoity
This is about 95% correct.

It really depend on the type of programmer, if you are trying to become a tools or content pipeline programmer, then know how to use 3D content creation software is very important.

Knowing how to write a exporter based on the modeling programs internal format to whatever format the game uses is a long ways from actually be able to create high quality models. You don't have to be a good modeler to be able to do that. Basic predefined shapes and a model or two from the real modelers will get it tested without the programmer having to create anything.

Tom I really love your website!

I love hearing that!

Alright so one day I aspire to own my own game design company, What are some roles I could pick to help me get there? or does it matter in the long run?
Alright so one day I aspire to own my own game design company, What are some roles I could pick to help me get there? or does it matter in the long run?

I suppose being a producer along the way would help you hone necessary skills. But what is a "game design company"? We have developers and publishers and such. See FAQ 28, the Game Biz Glossary.

Alright Thanks again Tom! I'm going to continue to debate it because I really don't know which one to choose, Also would it not be possible to create a company which both develops and publishes video games?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement