🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Getting Paid To Do Your First 3D Modelling

Started by
0 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 5 months ago
Hi guys, I'm new at starting topics but do spend a lot of time on this website reading through the topics.

Basically I graduated from uni with a 2:1 in Computer Games Design, and after having travelled for a year I have put my efforts to getting myself into the games industry. I've recently been approached to do some character modelling and animating by a friend on the behalf of his boss, who is currently employed to make an educational game for some schools.

What they want me to do, is to model 7 different characters, and then animate them walking, running and in idle position. They have also asked me how much I wish to be paid for this job (per character). The level of detail is not all that high, probably something similar to that of the Wii characters, though the deisgn drawings which they have given me leave a lot of room for interpretation.

As I am new and I have never been paid to work for somebody before, I do not really know how much to propose. I don't want to ask for too much as this is a first job and if all goes well they could have more work for me in the future, but I don't want to ask for too little either as I am taking some hours away from my job to be able to do this.

Could you please guide me as to how much I should be asking for? thank you in advance

Stéphane

ps. I am in the UK, so if you could let me know whether you mean £ or $, it would be very helpful.

a revolution is coming
Advertisement

As I am new and I have never been paid to work for somebody before, I do not really know how much to propose. I don't want to ask for too much as this is a first job and if all goes well they could have more work for me in the future, but I don't want to ask for too little either as I am taking some hours away from my job to be able to do this.

You should ask him how much he's willing to pay you. (Get him to be the first to name a figure.)
Maybe it's not worth it for you to work for less than US$10 per hour? Or maybe that'd be good since it's a growth opportunity. I don't know what your time is worth.
Figure out how many hours it would realistically take you, and figure you'll have to do do-overs and change requests.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement