🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Accepted to Digipen. Money concerns.

Started by
29 comments, last by bobbydriggs 13 years, 5 months ago
Hi, I was recently accepted to Digipen which I am excited about! How expensive is tuition and total cost? My father continues to make random comments about affording it, but I have heard that Digipen offers plentiful financial aid, is this true?
Advertisement
Congratulations on getting accepted to a school that you chose.

When it comes to tuition costs, it's issue you should have thought about before applying. Tuition and fees are generally clearly posted inside their web sites and published in their course catalog.

You should contact the school's financial aid office. They can help you with the FAFSA and other forms to help you determine what kinds of financial aid are available. You should also be searching for scholarships; the school can help you there, too.
Yeah, I've already done some research, and I won't be able to file the FAFSA for a couple weeks I think. I have read the cost in number, but it doesn't mean anything to me because I have nothing to compare it to, and also because that is just the "sticker price." This page says that typical tuition is $12,500 per semester, at $757.00 per credit.
Kid, if your father doesn't want to pay the tuition for that school, work hard to find one he can afford.
He's your dad! Don't you care??
Read this forum's FAQs about choosing a school. Link is above.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I don't think you understand. He can easily afford it, and he is thrilled that I got accepted. I am expected to pay half, so I think he is worrying about me. Besides, I am asking for a "frame of reference" when it comes to cost, not whether or not I should go based on cost.

Sorry for the confusion.
You should read (and your dad should also read) FAQs 34, 44, and 25.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Congrats on getting excepted to DigiPen! Thats my dream school but since I do a lot of overseas contracting work I had to go with an online school instead :( (Although online is actually really really nice).

As far as affording it most others already told you what to do as far as fafsa and what-not. Your school should be able to help you right over the phone for a lot of it.
DP is more expensive every year. Under your own ambition though, you can learn anything you need about game development through books and asking for help here. Make sure you like programming before you waste your time going and potentially dropping out. It is a very nice environment though.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

Wow. A year at the state school I went to cost less then one semester of tuition at DigiPen (I would imagine that $12,500 doesn't cover room and board?). I had no real problem getting a game job either. You better make sure thats what you really want and also know that some employers won't look a resumes from people who went to game schools. Seriously think about going to a state school to get a regular CS degree and do all the game development you can on the side and pay a quarter of the cost and arguably be much better off. Game schools really seem to be turning into a money grab.
DP is more expensive every year. Under your own ambition though, you can learn anything you need about game development through books and asking for help here. Make sure you like programming before you waste your time going and potentially dropping out. It is a very nice environment though.

Yeah, I've heard that... but then again, don't all schools get more expensive every year? I am aware of my own abilities and passion; I've been programming for over three years, and I've been making games for over two. I also just started my first 3D game over the past week which is going great.

"You better make sure thats what you really want and also know that some employers won't look a resumes from people who went to game schools. Seriously think about going to a state school to get a regular CS degree and do all the game development you can on the side and pay a quarter of the cost and arguably be much better off"

Doesn't Digipen have a good reputation with most companies though? I did finish my application to Purdue, which has a great CS program, so I will consider going there first. I will figure everthing out once I file my FAFSA and get word back from both schools.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement