🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Accepted to Digipen. Money concerns.

Started by
29 comments, last by bobbydriggs 13 years, 5 months ago

Tuition and fees are generally clearly posted inside their web sites and published in their course catalog.

Uhm... wha..?

Not the case at all. Do you have any idea how many BS fees there are associated with tuition? If they were all clearly outlined, people would refuse to pay them.
Advertisement
Eh? The additional costs are pretty clearly outlined... certainly quite a bit better spelled out than other universities.

'Tom said:

'swilkewitz' said:

I did read it, what I'm saying is that you've posted that link so many times that I've already seen it. In fact, so far I haven't read anything from you that wasn't a link to that faq. Anyway, let's not get into a petty argument, and I didn't mean to be rude.

I only give the link to people who ask questions that are already answered in the FAQs.
I assume that if they had already read the answer, they would not still be asking the question.
I too didn't mean to be rude.

Understandable, although that faq answers everything imagineable.

Which is why he posts the link to it: so the person asking the question already answered in his FAQ can see it, along with all the other helpful information, since they obviously didn't look at it already.

I am gratified to hear that. But if it answers everything, then what's wrong with sending people to go read it?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Eh? The additional costs are pretty clearly outlined... certainly quite a bit better spelled out than other universities.

The wording of your post made me think you were talking about universities in general.

'Tom said:

'swilkewitz' said:

I did read it, what I'm saying is that you've posted that link so many times that I've already seen it. In fact, so far I haven't read anything from you that wasn't a link to that faq. Anyway, let's not get into a petty argument, and I didn't mean to be rude.

I only give the link to people who ask questions that are already answered in the FAQs.
I assume that if they had already read the answer, they would not still be asking the question.

so maybe the wrong questions are being asked. ;)

On topic, this was my reply in a thread in the lounge:

'way2lazy2care' said:

where do you live?

Michigan :D haha. why?

Because state schools are cheaper than out of state schools and usually have more scholarship/aid opportunities for students that stay in state.

http://www.greguide.com/comps.html

Ann Arbor has the 20th ranked CS degree and costs $7,000/year for michigan residents.

Game Design specific undergrad programs are really really iffy. Very often you will learn more going to a state college for something related to what you want to do (CS->Programming, Business->Production/Design, etc) and soaking up as much information as you can by going to different events, joining orgs like IGDA, and reading up all you can on sites like this and gamasutra or magazines like Game Developer Magazine. With the money you save on an in state school you could attend GDC every year, and you will learn more about the game industry and design in one week at GDC than you will in a 4 year game design undergrad program.

Digipen's degree is for all intents and purposes on par with a good state college (and vice versa). The only major problem at state schools is you might not have the people around you that are as passionate about games as you are making team projects more difficult. A lot of schools do have clubs related though.
I went to Digipen, it costs a pile. I'm severely in debt... However I also went to penn state for a few years... I learned twice as much at digipen in half the time of penn state... just sayin'
Douglas Eugene Reisinger II
Projects/Profile Site
For what it is worth, I went to Purdue, loved it, and had no problem at all landing a job before I had graduated. I majored in Computer Graphics Technology, not Computer Science, but the CS department at Purdue did seem to be pretty good. Are you from Indiana? If so then then the in-state tuition will be a fraction of Digipen's.

Yes, I am. I know that Purdue is relatively cheap, and pretty reputable on the west coast. Some of my best friends and also my sister go there too.

'swilkewitz' said:

'Tom said:

'swilkewitz' said:

so maybe the wrong questions are being asked. ;)

As I stated earlier, I'm looking for a frame of reference of the cost, perhaps from people who have gone to Digipen. I'm not exactly looking for help on my decision. From what I hear, Digipen is more expensive than I previously thought it was. So my question has been answered.

As I stated earlier, I'm looking for a frame of reference of the cost, perhaps from people who have gone to Digipen. I'm not exactly looking for help on my decision. From what I hear, Digipen is more expensive than I previously thought it was. So my question has been answered.

I went there for a semester before dropping out because I didn't feel the cost was proportional to the quality of education. Just thought you might like another opinion. Knowing what I know now I think that going to a cheaper school and spending the extra money on other extra-curricular education opportunities will net you more useful knowledge and probably more useful connections. With the extra money you could go to GDC, GDC Online, and GDC Europe and have money leftover to subscribe to almost every pay game development resource available.

You'll probably have more fun too. Digipen has nice facilities, but the area is not very student friendly. Most things are a solid walk from most of the apartments. If my roommate hadn't had a car while I was there I probably would have bought all of my food at 7/11.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement