🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A Chinese man want to be game SW developer in US

Started by
6 comments, last by zengq 13 years, 5 months ago
Hello everybody, I am a Chinese, very love game, want to be in the United States engaged in the development of games, Increase advanced game development experience points. who to give advice to me?
First introduce myself, after graduation, 6 years in software programming, and have done 3D engine on mobile devices.

What are the ways to choose?
1.The first study in the U.S., and then looking for work in the United States
2.First apply U.S. small game companies, then slowly add some good team
3.Directly into the Bllizard such as excellent company, but for me, almost impossible

How can I do?
Advertisement
First; no offense, I understand you probably didn't learn English to well in China, but I would brush up on it. It will help you immensely on job interviews and even just when writing up your application. Plus, it is important to be able to communicate effectively with the entire game development team. One person failing to understand may mean one part of the finished game is wrong.

After that, with the experience you've mentioned, as long as it's professional experience; some smaller game companies might be willing to take you. I would definitely look around.

By "study in the U.S." I assume you mean go to an American university? That will be very expensive, but might wind up being something you need to do. I would look around for awhile first, avoiding that step should be a priority for you since generally they will only teach you what you should already know and you will wind up spending a fortune for a piece of paper that means that you know what you were taught

Good luck!
Getting the visa will not be easy. There is a lot of competition, and the number of work visas available is limited. Documentation on getting a visa is plentiful.

Getting a job in the games industry will not be easy. There is a lot of competition for games jobs. You will need to find an employer willing to hire you. Check out the Breaking In forum for discussions about that part, including that forum's FAQ.

You might have an easier time getting the visa and working with any company. Then once you've got the work visa and are in the country legally, you can try to break in to the game industry from there.
lawor,
This thread is moved to the Breaking In forum. Scroll up and read this forum's FAQs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

First; no offense, I understand you probably didn't learn English to well in China, but I would brush up on it. It will help you immensely on job interviews and even just when writing up your application. Plus, it is important to be able to communicate effectively with the entire game development team. One person failing to understand may mean one part of the finished game is wrong.

After that, with the experience you've mentioned, as long as it's professional experience; some smaller game companies might be willing to take you. I would definitely look around.

By "study in the U.S." I assume you mean go to an American university? That will be very expensive, but might wind up being something you need to do. I would look around for awhile first, avoiding that step should be a priority for you since generally they will only teach you what you should already know and you will wind up spending a fortune for a piece of paper that means that you know what you were taught

Good luck!

I am sorry for my lazy , I wrote these words by Google translate.
First,I have wrote C/C++ program for 6 years, but I don't like my current job. After graduation, I always want to be a game developer.
Second, John Carmack is my idol. Half-life game is my best favoritest. I have always a dream to have a chance to develop a great game like Counter-Strike
But, There are no good game company or group in China, I have to engaged in another program work, such as database, UI, 3D engine and so on.
So, I want to find a job in US.

But, I dont konw how to start....

So, I want to find a job in US.
But, I dont konw how to start....

lawor,
Scroll up and click the [size="4"]Breaking In FAQs.
There are numerous game companies in China. You should start there.
Use the map links to find companies in China.
We cannot give you information about how to get a US work visa -- you'd have to research that on US government websites. It'll be easier to get work here after you get experience working in games in your home country.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Singapore is probably your next best bet as quite a few AAA companies have studios there,

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Haha, in fact, not so many. As far as I know, only Ubisoft, Koei and Lucas have game studio in Singapore. EA was developing NFSWO and FIFAOL in Singapore before, but move out the dev-team after release. :rolleyes:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement