🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is this a good choice of major

Started by
4 comments, last by dragonhawk360 13 years, 5 months ago
Hi everybody!

I'm doing a Bachelor in Information Technology and Systems, I'm done with the first year but in the seconds year we need to pick a Major. There is a game development major that goes into the programming aspects of game development and not really the artistic side. I'm ok with this because I like programming but what I was worried about was whether or not this would help me land a job in the field.

I did e-mail Kellee Santiago of thatgamecompany the same question, she said that:
"Yes. Being able to know some basic coding in order to prototype your own ideas is crucial to entering the game industry. In addition to your class work, you should be looking for or creating opportunities to make as many small game projects as possible to build out your skill set and your portfolio!
"
I just want some more opinions, the more the better!
Advertisement
Being able to program is helpful. It is only essential if you intend to be a programmer but it is useful (as Kellee said) to be able to prototype something even if you want to be a designer or even an artist.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

Then read this forum's FAQs (there's a link above). See FAQs 34 and 44, and other opinion links near those.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I would love to be a programmer so programming is essential for me. I guess

'yati1' said:

Then read this forum's FAQs (there's a link above). See FAQs 34 and 44, and other opinion links near those.

I just read those two FAQs. I'm doing a 4 yr degree and I can choose to major in game design or networking or mobile devices or business software or do a bit of everything.

"Yes. Being able to know some basic coding in order to prototype your own ideas is crucial to entering the game industry. In addition to your class work, you should be looking for or creating opportunities to make as many small game projects as possible to build out your skill set and your portfolio!"

I think she answered in the best way possible. It's saying that you should do well in class, but also make your own small projects in your spare time to show you are actually understanding and using the information learned.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement