🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Where to go from here? Need Advice

Started by
0 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 5 months ago
Hi!

I'm looking for any advice I can get to perhaps help me make a decision in the future.

Where I'm at:
Mid 20-30s
Working at an accounting firm
Business degree in AIS and Finance
Decent understanding of programming (C++, Java) but I feel like there are large gaps of understanding that still need to be filled
-at the best I can create a tic tac toe game in SDL and display it to the screen (been trying to create other simple games w/ more features but feel like I am lacking in knowledge in certain areas)
Love art, have been recently trying to replicate other peoples work for practice

Where I want to get to:
Create casual games (iphone, pc, console, etc...)
Perhaps one day own a small company that does the above

What do I need to go to get there? Would going back to school be the best option to free up my time and focus? I am finding it hard to balance both work and learning at the moment. I feel a little reluctant about forgoing income, there are definitely risks involved in that it may not work out. What would be a good path to get to where I want to go? Do I keep doing what I'm doing and hope for the best? I'm quite torn on what to do.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Hey Man,
You make it sound like you want to be a game programmer but the best you can do is Tic-Tac-Toe?
Then maybe programming isn't the right career path for you.
Why don't you take a look at the FAQs (link is above) and see if another path is better.
You don't necessarily need to go back to school, unless you choose a path that would benefit from the learning you would get (what I'm struggling to say is that you don't need the degree, given your advanced age, and experience in the working world).
Check the FAQs. Really, Man.
Tom

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement