🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Courses?

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 5 months ago
Hello I am 14 and entering highschool next year. I will be taking regular math (algebra 1), regular science, honors history and possibly honors English.I will also be taking hand robotics gym health etc etc. I have a little bit of experiance with programming. I can read and edit XML, create read and edit HTML, and I can write simple programs in python (feet to inces and simple things like that). I get all B's ( math and science) and A's i(everything else) in school. I am really interested in game dev an mastering python and c ++ and maybe even some objective c for app dev.
Questions:
1) What courses in highschool should I be taking in order to major in "game development/programming.
2) Is there a major for game programming or any type of computer programming, if so what is it called.
3) Should I continue to try to learn more using online resources or wait until high school/college classes if yes should I start with python and pygame
4) Is it a hard course to major in
5) What is the pay like?
6) A website where I can find the closet college with this major to my location in new jersey
Please answer any of these questions that you can. Thank you in advance.
Advertisement
EDIT: that should say band not hand.

1) What courses in highschool should I be taking in order to major in "game development/programming.

In the end, you'll want to focus on Calculus, Probability, Discrete Math, and Linear Algebra. Though, of those, I think only Calculus is offered in HS.
2) Is there a major for game programming or any type of computer programming, if so what is it called.[/quote] This is often up for debate. Different companies see new-hires differently depending on the degree. There are game specific degrees from places like DigiPen and FullSail. Though I'd suggest a regular Computer Science degree.
3) Should I continue to try to learn more using online resources or wait until high school/college classes if yes should I start with python and pygame[/quote] If you don't have the motivation to learn on your own, you won't make it that far. Don't wait for classes and teachers to show you everything. Explore and learn on your own.

4) Is it a hard course to major in[/quote] probably? depends on how interested you are in it, and how much effort you put into it.
5) What is the pay like?[/quote] Decent, but less that you'd get for just about any other computer programming position in another field.
6) A website where I can find the closet college with this major to my location in new jersey[/quote] Most colleges offer a CS course. DigiPen and FullSail are the two big Game Degree colleges. Obviously the big name schools like MIT and UC Berkley can get you a better CS education if you make the most of it, but you should probably be talking to your highschool's college guidance counselor for those resources.
Moved to Breaking In. Justin, read the Breaking In FAQs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement