🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Frustrated with Stubborn Game School

Started by
33 comments, last by zbell91 13 years, 2 months ago
Hi, I am currently attending DeVry University for Game and Simulation Programming. I just finished my first year at DeVry and am unable to tell if my education is applicable to the gaming industry or if there are better options.

First, what is most important for Game Programmers to start learning? I have taken several C++ classes now and feel like I have a good understanding of a large portion of the language. We started with the basics, then moved on to file i/o, pong, and other simple things. However, the "game programming" classes after that have been data structures only. I can make contiguous lists, vectors, singly and doubly linked lists, several searches, serveral sorts, binary search trees and hash tables. This is all good to know and is important for any programmer but I am unsure about how important it is next to other game-related things. For example, I don't even know where to start when it comes to building a 2d game engine or something like that in C++.

Also, what is more important in the industry? Learning C++ or building a portfolio using engines? A few other students and I have been working with Unity 3d for awhile now and trying to implement a game that will hopefully be a published title before graduation. Is this important and valid or should we focus more on C++?

Originally, (until now) DeVry has allowed the use of engines on mid-term and final projects so that we could learn Unity and count it as school work. Recently though, the professors have decided that all of our projects should be hardcoded in C++. Is this for better or for worse? I'm not saying that I disagree with anything they are doing, I am just confused about whether or not they are right. I hope that makes sense and I hope that someone has some insight! I am dedicated to learning whatever I need to learn to make it in this industry, there is just an enormous amount of options and it can be overwhelming. Several friends want to leave DeVry and "go indie." I know we're talented, but I'm stumped.

Advertisement
Go read the "Breaking In" forum FAQ.

Hi, I am currently attending DeVry University for Game and Simulation Programming. I just finished my first year at DeVry and am unable to tell if my education is applicable to the gaming industry or if there are better options.

You are probably seeking the wrong degree. Game programmers have degrees in Computer Science. There is a mighty tall stack of job applicants, they will pick those with Computer Science over those with trade degrees in "simulation programming", or "software development".

First, what is most important for Game Programmers to start learning? I have taken several C++ classes now and feel like I have a good understanding of a large portion of the language. We started with the basics, then moved on to file i/o, pong, and other simple things.[/quote]

"Pong" is not a language feature.

While C++ is the language for consoles for the past decade, it changes. How is your Flash? Java? C#? Python? Perl? Languages come and go, you need a solid grounding in algorithms and the data structures they use. Learn the patterns of software development that apply regardless of language.

However, the "game programming" classes after that have been data structures only. I can make contiguous lists, vectors, singly and doubly linked lists, several searches, serveral sorts, binary search trees and hash tables. This is all good to know and is important for any programmer but I am unsure about how important it is next to other game-related things. For example, I don't even know where to start when it comes to building a 2d game engine or something like that in C++. [/quote]

Those are exactly what you use in game programming.

How would you implement an arbitrary inventory for your player's backpack? How would you search your world with millions of interesting AI targets? How do you look up your specific image texture out of the 16GB of textures on the disc? How would you serialize data for a network packet? How do you determine the path through the network mesh to reach a network peer? How do you juggle 32 processor cores on next year's high end PC without deadlocking or having resource starvation? How do you generate the hundreds of AI scripts needed for gameplay objects in a complex game? How do you write resource compilers for your game? How do you interleave data streams to give maximum throughout?

Just knowing C++ will not help you answer these things. You need to have a solid grounding in computer science.

Also, what is more important in the industry? Learning C++ or building a portfolio using engines? A few other students and I have been working with Unity 3d for awhile now and trying to implement a game that will hopefully be a published title before graduation. Is this important and valid or should we focus more on C++? [/quote]

Which is more important to an auto mechanic: learning about the V6 engine block or welding car bodies together? The answer: Neither, or perhaps both. You will probably use C++ in your career, so you need to know it, but if you ONLY know C++ you won't get very far. You will need to work with existing engines in your career, but if your only skill is working with the externals you will preclude yourself from working on the internals.

Yes, it is good to develop a portfolio, but only so far as it proves that you can do the job. If you are applying for a job as a Unity3D script writer (or game object scripter or game play engineer) then having a collection of Unit3D demos is probably a good thing. If you want a job as a flash programmer then having a portfolio of flash games is a good thing. If you want to work as a graphics programmer then you better have some pretty graphical demos.

The demo is not the point. The demo is only evidence toward the point that you can make games.

Originally, (until now) DeVry has allowed the use of engines on mid-term and final projects so that we could learn Unity and count it as school work. Recently though, the professors have decided that all of our projects should be hardcoded in C++. Is this for better or for worse? I'm not saying that I disagree with anything they are doing, I am just confused about whether or not they are right. I hope that makes sense and I hope that someone has some insight! I am dedicated to learning whatever I need to learn to make it in this industry, there is just an enormous amount of options and it can be overwhelming. [/quote]

I have no issues at all with their testing, either better or worse. I don't think it has a right or wrong situation. They want to evaluate what you have learned in order to help guide your studies, and if they think that is the best method, then so be it.

If you really want to get a job in the industry my suggestion is to carefully consider the merits of a traditional CS degree. Also, consider what happens if you get the degree but for whatever reason are unable to find a job in game programming.

Let's assume jobs are tight, the market is flooded, and you won't be able to get a job in games until 36 months after you graduate. What jobs will you take during that 36 months that will enable you to grow your career? We can't all be astronauts when we grow up, and even those who do need to develop their career before and after they get the dream job.

Several friends want to leave DeVry and "go indie." I know we're talented, but I'm stumped.
[/quote]

That is an unwise decision on their part. If they can't figure out how to "go indie" while still in school, they will have a much harder time trying to "go indie" while flipping burgers.
Thanks for the insight! I know that the industry is brutal and I'm prepared to learn as many languages as I need to. I was just curious about how much of a waste of time DeVry is and if schooling and what not is even needed after a certain point. The data structures and algorithms have come easy. It has been easy to learn C# and Java after knowing enough of C++.

First, what is most important for Game Programmers to start learning? I have taken several C++ classes now and feel like I have a good understanding of a large portion of the language. We started with the basics, then moved on to file i/o, pong, and other simple things. However, the "game programming" classes after that have been data structures only. I can make contiguous lists, vectors, singly and doubly linked lists, several searches, serveral sorts, binary search trees and hash tables. This is all good to know and is important for any programmer but I am unsure about how important it is next to other game-related things. For example, I don't even know where to start when it comes to building a 2d game engine or something like that in C++.

Also, what is more important in the industry? Learning C++ or building a portfolio using engines? A few other students and I have been working with Unity 3d for awhile now and trying to implement a game that will hopefully be a published title before graduation. Is this important and valid or should we focus more on C++?

Originally, (until now) DeVry has allowed the use of engines on mid-term and final projects so that we could learn Unity and count it as school work. Recently though, the professors have decided that all of our projects should be hardcoded in C++. Is this for better or for worse? I'm not saying that I disagree with anything they are doing, I am just confused about whether or not they are right. I hope that makes sense and I hope that someone has some insight! I am dedicated to learning whatever I need to learn to make it in this industry, there is just an enormous amount of options and it can be overwhelming. Several friends want to leave DeVry and "go indie." I know we're talented, but I'm stumped.

There's a big difference between driving your car to work and being able to build one. When you just use some engine it's like driving a car, which seems cool at first until you mess something up and it doesn't start (which is more often then not while in development). So yes I'd say it's critical you learn all about data structures, how to make them, and how to analyze complexity. Otherwise you are just some dude driving a car around when a programmer is supposed to be able to design the car and be its mechanics more than anything. The artists are much better at driving the car than you can likely ever be anyway so don't get caught up too much in that, the only reason they are any good is of course marketing - you can show something to people. If anything my big surprise is how many crap programmers seem to be making games for a living, but if you want to be one who's actually good these are good steps. You can throw together a demo in your spare time, and it will be much easier to do if you actually understand everything that's going on.

This is my thread. There are many threads like it, but this one is mine.

Ok, thank you for a second opinion. Where should I be heading then? I'm going to continue my studies of C++ and data structures. I'm looking at multithreading, source management, and working on a variation of the A* pathfinding algorithm currently.
Moving to Breaking In. Then I'll reply to selected questions asked by zbe.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hi zbell, you wrote:
1. I just finished my first year at DeVry and am unable to tell if my education is applicable to the gaming industry
2. or if there are better options.
3. First, what is most important for Game Programmers to start learning?
4. Also, what is more important in the industry? Learning C++ or building a portfolio using engines?
5. A few other students and I have been working with Unity 3d for awhile now and trying to implement a game that will hopefully be a published title before graduation.
6. Is this important and valid or should we focus more on C++?
7. the professors have decided that all of our projects should be hardcoded in C++. Is this for better or for worse?
8. I'm not saying that I disagree with anything they are doing, I am just confused about whether or not they are right.
9. I am dedicated to learning whatever I need to learn to make it in this industry,
10. there is just an enormous amount of options and it can be overwhelming.
11. Several friends want to leave DeVry and "go indie." I know we're talented, but I'm stumped.[/quote]
1. Don't worry about it being "applicable." Worry about whether you're learning what you want to learn. Wait, strike that. Don't "worry," just "learn." Follow your passions, learn the stuff you want to learn.

2. Almost certainly there are, but can you afford them, are those other options within your reach?

3. Computer Science.

4. False choice, a classic bad two-choices question to which the answer is "both." Read FAQ 52.

5. Wrong goal. You should be making that game to learn how, and (if it's good enough) for a portfolio piece. It's unrealistic to shoot for a moneymaker at the same time you're trying to learn how to program.

6. Another false choice (another bad two-choices question to which the answer again is "both").

7. I don't know if it's great that ALL your school projects should be in C++. You should learn C++. You should learn Unity. You should learn Java. You should learn Flash. You should learn Computer Science basics.

8. Same thing. We can taste the bitter beneath the sugar coating.

9. I think you should dedicate yourself to getting a good college education, preferably in Computer Science. If you can't do that, then dedicate yourself to learning everything you can, just for learning's sake.

10. See FAQ 70. When overwhelmed by options, you can organize them, make sense of them, and thereby make good decisions.

11. Well, Bill Gates dropped out and Mark Zuckerberg dropped out, and it turned out all right for them. Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard. Mark Zuckerberg dropped out of Harvard. Are your budz as bright as Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg? Are you all in Harvard? What I always say is, "if you want to be like Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg and drop out, first you have to go to Harvard. Then you can drop out." Don't be an idiot. Don't drop out.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hi zbell, you wrote:
1. I just finished my first year at DeVry and am unable to tell if my education is applicable to the gaming industry
2. or if there are better options.
3. First, what is most important for Game Programmers to start learning?
4. Also, what is more important in the industry? Learning C++ or building a portfolio using engines?
5. A few other students and I have been working with Unity 3d for awhile now and trying to implement a game that will hopefully be a published title before graduation.
6. Is this important and valid or should we focus more on C++?
7. the professors have decided that all of our projects should be hardcoded in C++. Is this for better or for worse?
8. I'm not saying that I disagree with anything they are doing, I am just confused about whether or not they are right.
9. I am dedicated to learning whatever I need to learn to make it in this industry,
10. there is just an enormous amount of options and it can be overwhelming.
11. Several friends want to leave DeVry and "go indie." I know we're talented, but I'm stumped.

1. Don't worry about it being "applicable." Worry about whether you're learning what you want to learn. Wait, strike that. Don't "worry," just "learn." Follow your passions, learn the stuff you want to learn.

2. Almost certainly there are, but can you afford them, are those other options within your reach?

3. Computer Science.

4. False choice, a classic bad two-choices question to which the answer is "both." Read FAQ 52.

5. Wrong goal. You should be making that game to learn how, and (if it's good enough) for a portfolio piece. It's unrealistic to shoot for a moneymaker at the same time you're trying to learn how to program.

6. Another false choice (another bad two-choices question to which the answer again is "both").

7. I don't know if it's great that ALL your school projects should be in C++. You should learn C++. You should learn Unity. You should learn Java. You should learn Flash. You should learn Computer Science basics.

8. Same thing. We can taste the bitter beneath the sugar coating.

9. I think you should dedicate yourself to getting a good college education, preferably in Computer Science. If you can't do that, then dedicate yourself to learning everything you can, just for learning's sake.

10. See FAQ 70. When overwhelmed by options, you can organize them, make sense of them, and thereby make good decisions.

11. Well, Bill Gates dropped out and Mark Zuckerberg dropped out, and it turned out all right for them. Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard. Mark Zuckerberg dropped out of Harvard. Are your budz as bright as Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg? Are you all in Harvard? What I always say is, "if you want to be like Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg and drop out, first you have to go to Harvard. Then you can drop out." Don't be an idiot. Don't drop out.
[/quote]

Hey, thanks a bunch. I didn't realize that you were a moderator on here. Anyway, I'll stick with this school for awhile and see how it goes. The bright side of this school is that we only have class two or three days a week depending on the semester and what not. So I have tons of spare time to learn all that I want to learn. I will continue my C++ studies until I am confident enough to tackle flash, C#, Java, etc. We are also working on a Unity project (but it's more or less on the back burner). We're doing this just to get used to the work cycle and so that we can say that we've been dedicated enough to "finish something."
I'd say take a crack at Flash now if you want to. AS3 is not a tough language to learn, and while Flash has some strange quirks, the environment makes sense (mostly) once you get used to it. When I was in school I tackled a different set of languages every semester, and I started on higher level languages like Python and had to work my way down to C++. That was a really weird experience. If you're doing well with C++ go ahead and branch out. Don't get discouraged if you end up struggling or have trouble adapting to another language, it just means you're challenging yourself and broadening your horizons.
When it really comes down to it, they want to see your work. If you want to break into the gaming industry most of the AAA industries require C++ not Java, not AS3, etc... They don't say show me your examples made in Unity3D or UDK, those are just bonus knowledge they would like to see. But at the same time if you don't want to limit yourself to one market it is best to learn more. There are going to be more software jobs available than gaming jobs, also gaming companies don't just hire because they have a position open. Bungie has had the same positions (with an exception of a few) listed for hiring for over 8 months now. Economy is making companies be a little more picky then they probably would normally or they just can afford to be this picky, either way. Although I think a CS degree is looked at as more prestigious, a good gaming college is Digipen. Also did you make sure Devry was an accredited school before attending, that is an important feature.

In the end job source is important, for 4 months I have been applying at jobs via 3rd party sites and some straight off there company website, I have gotten zero responses. I paid a fee to be apart of the job posting board at a university near me, since I am not a student I had to pay. It hasn't even been a week and I have heard back from 3 of the 25 companies I applied at. One wanted me to solve a programming problem in my most comfortable language, the other needs me to be a student still, which I can take a course and than they will call me in for an interview. The last one is for a company building designing software and they requested to see a few coding samples of mine. I have a Bachelor of Science Game Software Development degree from an accredited school, the market is highly competitive to begin with having zero experience makes it that much harder. Those are my 2 cents, and coming from someone with a specified degree. More and more schools are offering a specified degree such as Software or Game development it is only a matter of time they are going to want someone who has focused skills more than someone with a general computer knowledge degree. I don't know about Devry but my school degree was a well rounded degree, with many off topic classes, but useful in the job market.

EDIT** Also I know it might be hard to pull off, but look into internships while you are still in school. Get that experience under your belt before school is done with. It will be that much easier in the end. That was my biggest mistake I find that internships want you to be still attending school and I am all done.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement