🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Advice on getting started

Started by
2 comments, last by jdt2787 13 years, 2 months ago
Here is my story and dilemma, and I apologize in advance for the length:

I am a long time gamer and animation fan. I originally wanted to get a degree in game design. However my college career did not go as planned mainly due to finances and switching my major to interior design (I have a long time love for both). Recently I have very much missed anime, animation, gaming and all things related and have decided to go back to my original plan of getting into the industry. My desire is to become a character or level artist because I love the visual aspect of gaming, I fall in love with the characters and worlds (plus I have no desire to get into programming but will learn it if necessary). Right now I have a load of debt from my first round of college (GWU + not being able to finish + racking up student loans + owing tuition= one big expensive, degree-less mess) and since I will be 24 this year I'm really ready to get my foot in the door ASAP and start building a serious and successful career for myself. I do plan on going back to Montgomery College and getting my associates in the Computer Gaming and Simulation program (the art and animation track) with a certificate in CG Art and Animation. So at this point I need some serious advice/ guidance from people already in the school and especially in the industry!!

1) Does this sound like a good route degree-wise? Or is it necessary to attempt to invest the time and money (a second time) in getting a bachelor's??
2) If I stick with the associates, would building a high quality, substantial portfolio give me an edge over bachelor holders?
3) Ashamed to admit but I really only have a general knowledge of the industry so I know I definitely need to learn as much as I can about the major companies (some I know, I'm sure a lot of them I don't), lingo, programs, history, and important people of the industry, so any suggestions on what I should absolutely know going in would be appreciated.

Any other advice is very much welcome and appreciated!
Thanks
Advertisement
My desire is to become a character or level artist ...
Right now I have a load of debt from my first round of college...
I do plan on going back to Montgomery College and getting my associates in the Computer Gaming and Simulation program (the art and animation track) with a certificate in CG Art and Animation...
1) Does this sound like a good route degree-wise? Or is it necessary to attempt to invest the time and money (a second time) in getting a bachelor's??
2) If I stick with the associates, would building a high quality, substantial portfolio give me an edge over bachelor holders?
3) Ashamed to admit but I really only have a general knowledge of the industry so I know I definitely need to learn as much as I can about the major companies (some I know, I'm sure a lot of them I don't), lingo, programs, history, and important people of the industry, so any suggestions on what I should absolutely know going in would be appreciated.

1. A B.A. is preferable. But for an art job you might be able to swing it.
2. Not over a B.A. with just as high quality and substantial a portfolio. You need a portfolio that's twice as good as his or hers.
3. Read the FAQs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

[quote name='jdt2787' timestamp='1303220277' post='4800346']My desire is to become a character or level artist ...
Right now I have a load of debt from my first round of college...
I do plan on going back to Montgomery College and getting my associates in the Computer Gaming and Simulation program (the art and animation track) with a certificate in CG Art and Animation...

1. A B.A. is preferable. But for an art job you might be able to swing it.
2. Not over a B.A. with just as high quality and substantial a portfolio. You need a portfolio that's twice as good as his or hers.
3. Read the FAQs.
[/quote]
Thanks for the advice Tom. I've been a little busy lately but have started to check on the forums on this site and yours. learning lots!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement