🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Stuck in between two universities. Which one should I go to?

Started by
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 2 months ago
[font="arial, sans-serif"]
The two universities I'm balancing are University of California - San Diego and University of California - Irvine. I decided I want to have a well-rounded education instead of a two-year technical degree from an institute.

There is a major in "Computer Game Science" at Irvine: "a solid foundation in computer science and mathematics and teach students how to design, implement, and critique computer games." This major looks like the perfect fit for me. I've been an avid gamer since I was around 8 or 9. I mainly played games on my computer and thus I've become somewhat of a computer geek. Although, I'm not very fond of mathematics. Also, computer science doesn't seem that appealing. I've had some experience with 3D Modeling and I've grown to love it.

Yet, there are lots of opportunities for game development in Irvine. There are lots of game studios in Irvine for internships. I've seen the games the students have developed while they are attending there, and they're pretty impressive. They even have a Center for Computer Games and Virtual Worlds (http://cgvw.ics.uci.edu/) Irvine has better opportunities for game development than San Diego. There is a better environment for game development than at San Diego. I'd feel much more motivated if I worked with people with the same mindsets. I don't think San Diego even has an environment for game development. If you google stuff about Irvine, you'll find a good amount of articles. Google San Diego, you can barely find anything.

I have some experience in 3D Modeling, the art side but not the technical side: programming/computer science. I love the art side of it, but what if I don't love the technical side? Even though I might hate it, it seems practical to stay in the major. Computer Science has a good job market and high starting salary for bachelor degrees. I'm taking out a student loan for all my four years and it'll probably be easy to pay off. If I change majors to something less practical, maybe art or a humanities major, I could have less opportunities/have a harder time finding a stable job and my debt would be much harder to handle.

Basically, if I end up hating or loathing Computer Game Science at Irvine. Or game development in general, wouldn't it be better to go to San Diego, with it's prestige and academia? To be honest, if it wasn't for the opportunities or environment towards game development at Irvine, within a heartbeat, I'll go to San Diego. I know that the name doesn't matter in the industry, the portfolio does.

Hell, I don't really know if I want to do game development. I just know I've been around video games and computers all my life, so why not? My mom has seen it, my relatives have seen it, my friends have seen it. They think this is the perfect fit. Although, I'm not quite sure. I have lots of other interests like writing, music, film, psychology, etc...

I know this is MY choice. Although, it'd be great to have some insight from someone who used to be in my position. [/font]
Advertisement
Why do you want to go to school for something you've never really delved into and are afraid you won't like when you have something you like doing and have delved into that you can go to school for?
One of this forum's FAQs discusses how to make a decision.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement