🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Can a DX9 programmer be hired?

Started by
2 comments, last by Ninja2008 13 years, 1 month ago
Hi..

I was just asking if the companies still hire the people with DirectX 9.0 and (C++ of course)??? or they are too old...

another question..applying for jobs like in iPhone games making companies, or making XBOX or PS games, I mean we don't have the tools, only we have the theory (3D Math, C++ programming, ...etc) is that all we need to get jobs in these areas?? once, someone told me so, but I just want a confirmation.

pardon me for these questions since I am far away from any game programming companies, originally, I got a B.Sc and M.Sc in computer engineering, but a game programmer (making games for me only) for like 12 years, and got these Math, physics, AI, Assembly, C++, DX9 experience but I was just asking if these are enough to be hired (when I get to a place where there are game companies)...
also, my master degree was on virtual reality, I made 2 levels of a game (just like counter strike) multiplayer support, controlling the players was either a Wiimote, Keyboard and mouse, or a GPS (held by human), fully functional AI (for fighting, path finding, ...etc.)...so if I show my thesis, software, and the study certificate (approved by my contries foreign affairs ministry), will that be noticed when trying to get hired??

Thanks..
Advertisement
I was just asking if the companies still hire the people with DirectX 9.0 and (C++ of course)??? or they are too old...
C++ is still used for console games, and the XBox360 graphics API is similar to DX9, so it's still relevant too.
applying for jobs ... we don't have the tools, only we have the theory (3D Math, C++ programming, ...etc) is that all we need to get jobs in these areas?? ...so if I show my thesis, software, and the study certificate (approved by my contries foreign affairs ministry), will that be noticed when trying to get hired??[/quote]Theory is just as important as knowledge of the actual APIs. As long as your theory is solid, you'll be able to quickly learn an unfamiliar API.

So yes, this is enough to get hired in a junior position. For a senior position, you'll need good theory plus good practical experience.

1. Can a DX9 programmer be hired?
2. or they are too old...

You have asked Bad Questions #50 and 71.
You can click this forum's FAQ (above) to read the answers, or go to http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hodgman, thanks for the great response, well, I can say I got a good practical experience, I program games since I was 14 years old on the old MSX computer (1982 model), and programmed for the NES, ..etc. until like 2 years ago when I got the time to study 3D stuff. The Math is not a big deal for me since I took advance math courses in the college in the B.Sc days..
so what I am going to do now is study more math, physics and AI to get a good theory and get as much projects as I can to get more practical experience.
Thanks again..

Mr. Moderator, sorry, I did not read the FAQ list, and next time, sure, I will read it before posting. :-)

Thanks for both of you..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement