🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What area I should choose?

Started by
5 comments, last by elemein 12 years, 11 months ago
I'm currently trying to figure out what area I should pursue. Programming, Visual Arts, Musical Arts, or Storyboarding. I've tried my hand at all of them, but I just dont know which is right for me.

For programming, I took a course in Highschool (I am in Grade 10 right now, so I'd love to start early. I know there is a difference between making games and playing games, but I love to do creative things and I've always loved being part of something, as well as hard work, so I have no problem making games in general), and I was taught a bit of the basics of Visual Basics, and VB.NET, I was EASILY the best programmer in my class, and was even dubbed by the teacher that, and peers always asked me questions on it.

Though VB is extremely easy to learn, and not really the fastest programming language to use in terms of graphics (thought it does make programs and games at a BLISTERINGLY FAST rate.)

I tried learning C#. I got the Microsoft Compiler for it and everything, I literally could not understand a SINGLE THING after a week of reading online tutorials and visiting my Chapters to take a look at some books. So I gave up on it.

For Visual Arts, I used to be a Pixel Artist for a private server of the game Endless Online (which shut down due to extreme lack of administrator support. Hackers and scammers literally roamed free xD) and I did alright. I was just a little slow is all. The problem is, that game is 2D and online has a resolution of about 32x32, so the work is extremely easy to produce, so even if I did reasonably decent work there, I couldnt do any really good work in the games of the modern world which are usually ATLEAST 64x64. I dont mind learning it, and I do have Photoshop and could dish out a few more bucks to get more software if its what I really should do, but for now, Im not sure.

For 3d, all I did was download Blender, youtubed some tutorials, and got literally nowhere. I couldnt understand it at all, I'm sure if I tried harder I could, but at the time, I wasnt sure visual arts was for me, so I ditched it.

For Musical Arts, I own an acoustic guitar (and play it quite well, I played in an indie concert with a few people I didnt know (we all had the same song, so it harmonized alright.) and got lessons), and a harmonica (I play it... alright... I guess.) and I also own Fruity Loops 8, which I tried to make some beats and such awhile ago, and I really was starting to understand the program, its just that, I dont think I made anything of really good competitive quality. So I wouldnt mind learning about it more and trying it out, I just dont know about it either.

For StoryBoarding, I used to write a LOT of fanfics and indie stories, they all got great reviews on the websites they were published too, i even had an actual fanbase (a small one of only a handful of people... but I was proud of my fanbase :3) which would beg me to write the next chapter to the story asap. So I guess I legitimately have a talent in Storyboarding, and I love to write too, the only thing is, in my head, I'm thinking that we already have like 1000 storyboarders simply because "anyone can storyboard" (its not true, but with a little work and some talent, anyone can be a storyboarder) so thats stopping me too (even though I'm good, no one will hire me as I dont have a long-standing rep.)

Also, I LOVE MMOs, I dont know if MMOs are on this site, but I used to be a forum administrator for a large community of an MMO, and a moderator of SEVERAL private servers, as well as a Game Master of a official server. People tell me I am a good moderator as I always listen to both sides of a story, dont take sides, love to make events, and am a sociable generous guy. I guess I'd be a really good admin of a MMO, the only problem is, there isnt any site or section that i know of where people can just post "Looking for admin for my MMO game" and I also think there would be a lot of people who would try becoming an admin, who genuinely suck at being a leader.

So thats my experiences in all areas, no matter what you guys think I should choose, remember I will always try to work hard, and learn, so guys, what do you think I should do? What do we need more of?

Also, no matter what, I will always love to work for extremely cheap or free. So that might entice people or point me towards a certain area. I dont know, just throwing that in.
Advertisement
In games you need to work with your strengths, and the best way to find out what those strengths are I guess, would be to play around making games. Any by playing to your strengths this includes:

1. What you enjoy.
2. What you are most productive at.

For me it's programming, so you won't see me in any art or design roles for instance. :)
Moving to Breaking In.

elemein, you should read this forum's FAQs (scroll up and click). Read about all the different jobs in the game industry. Read about the schooling required for those jobs. Read about how to make decisions.

I also recommend you avail yourself of the services offered you by your school's guidance counselor. Those folks are there to help guide you in making your post-graduation plans.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Moving to Breaking In.

elemein, you should read this forum's FAQs (scroll up and click). Read about all the different jobs in the game industry. Read about the schooling required for those jobs. Read about how to make decisions.

I also recommend you avail yourself of the services offered you by your school's guidance counselor. Those folks are there to help guide you in making your post-graduation plans.

I dont know if you're going to read this Tom, but I'd love it if you could give me an answer.

So I read some of your articles (and a handful of others in the FAQ, I found out my personality is: ENFJ, if that matters.) and I stumbled upon the one where you answer highschool kids emails to you. I read through most of them and you said that basicly, we cant do much until we're 18. I understand that, and obviously, there are no exceptions in legalities- but; is there anything I CAN DO? I'm not looking for a job at EA (not now atleast, I'm more of an indie guy, I just find theres more "breathing space" for ideas and thing you can do in indie games. If you know what I mean.), but a job with a group of people who want to make a game, and are small-time, would be absolutely PERFECT for me! So would I be able to do that? I dont know if there is a large difference between working at EA, or an unlabelled group, but since I'm wanting to work for free (just credit really), then I guess that would negate a large wad of legalities against me working with a group, since I wouldnt be dealing with money, I'd just be giving, and I'd just want my name in the "Contact Us & Credits" list.

Also, I made a decision chart, and found out that I am NOT a programmer (I dont particularily enjoy it as much as other areas of work.), nor an artist (I like it, and am good at it, I'm just painfully slow at it.), and not a sound designer either (I have music skills. Just not music skills relavent to the industry.), but I am a writer, as well as a manager (or producer.) I also threw in administrator/moderator for MMO games (which I particularily want to work with), and I found out I'm that too.

So Tom, what can I do now?

Edit: I cleared my decision chart and did it again 3 more times, as honest as possible (I just love to make sure I get things right), and I found out I could learn the music skills I need, and I also love working with music, so Im actually less of a manager/producer and more of a BGM Artist.
I'm not Tom, but it is a public forum, so I'll chim in.

You love creating things, and that is essential for making video games. They are large creative works that require serious creative work from a large team of creative individuals.

You said in the first post that you loved a bit of programming .... but you said at the bottom that you are definitely not a programmer. You said you liked it and were good at it, but gave up when it became actual work. You can learn to program if you find it enjoyable, you don't have to be a prodigy at age 3 turning out tetris clones. Many programmers don't get seriously in to things until college age. But you said it is not what you want, so we'll let that rest.

You wrote about pixel art, playing with various, and then giving up. That's fine, art isn't everyone's passion. It is pretty easy to notice a budding artist since the margins of their papers will be filled with creative doodles, impractical swords, elves, dragons, and women. You thought it was fun, but for whatever reason decided not to pursue it. That is just fine.

You wrote about music. You wrote that you might want to try it out. There is a lot out there for music. You can learn composition and music theory starting in your college years and be great at it. It doesn't sound like you are enthusiastic, and it sounded like you let it drop. So that is also fine if you don't want to pursue it.

Next came storyboarding, but you said you have a tiny bit of talent but still want to give up on. The trend does not look good.

You talk about being an administrator or moderator or social player. You claim to be reasonable adept at it. But for whatever reason, you let that lapse too.

In your follow up you mention being reasonably skilled as a writer, but again dismiss it.

First --- and this is critically important --- you must know what it means to work.

Working is not dabbling in something for a few hours. Working means doing the task for 40+ hours every week, without fail, for several years on end. Even if you don't really want to do it that day, you still do it. Even if you are tired or grumpy, you still do it. Even if you want to go do something else, you still do it. Work can be fun an exciting and an emotional blast. But no matter how awesome your job is there are days and weeks when it is drudgery, painful, and unrewarding. Even if you love the job you will eventually have a project that becomes a death march. You really need to enjoy what you are doing generally in order to survive that kind of ordeal.

What you want to find is something an area that is generally exciting for you to maximize the upside and let the downside be not as bad.

As much as you describe wanting to work in games, it doesn't sound like any of those areas are your passion. Programming sounded good at first, but then turned into a big "meh". Art and music also. Your writing tasks sounded like they could have been something, but then you dismissed them again.

While it is fine for you to continue your passion for playing online games, you would do well to explore other fields.

If those earlier topics do not get you excited and you lose interest in all of them after just a few weeks, this may not be your career. You are still very young, age 16 or so. I suggest you explore many other fields of interest. Astronomy, aeronautics, physics, chemistry, biology, botany, engineering, mechanics, construction, metal working, wood working, and countless other career fields and trades exist. Go dip your toes in a bunch of those other creative pools to see what else you may enjoy. With a bit of luck you will find yourself pleasantly surprised and discover that you completely immerse yourself in a topic effortlessly, and then discover the joy and bliss of knowing your own passions in life.

1. I dont know if you're going to read this Tom
2. you said that basicly, we cant do much until we're 18.
3. is there anything I CAN DO?
4. I cleared my decision chart and did it again 3 more times

1. This is "my" forum. Of course I read it.
2. No, I didn't! I said you probably can't get a JOB, but I never said you couldn't do much.
3. Of course. Read FAQ 12.
4. In, like, an hour? You haven't done it very thoroughly! Spend more time making this decision. You're growing up -- you have to start making decisions. That's what grownups do.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@ Frob

I used the word "give up" simply to say "temporarily stopped pursuing it". Its not that I didnt enjoy doing those things, I did enjoy it (except programming in C# wasnt even partially fun, I dont know why, I just could not understand it.) and I still write stories even today (not literally today, but I do have some stories I'm working on), and of course, sometimes I didnt like working on the stories as sometimes I had to add boring parts or filler or whatever, but I had to do it. It may not be the same as a 40 hours work day, but I'm just saying that I'm not "only looking into game careers because I think it'll all be fun and games... literally speaking, it is, but you know what I mean, right?".

Also, for art, I still do have some sketches on art (in the style of The World Ends With You. Thats an art piece I'm working on now) and I LOVE to draw and create visual pieces, I'm just not fast at it. I could learn to be fast though.

And yes, I do love to make things, I'm a creative person.

The only reason I "gave up" (temporarily put on hold until I found out which was right for me.) was because I was lacking somewhere in one of the areas of the job. Obviously, I could learn on how to make up for the lack, but I wanted to move onto another department of the job to see if I could fit into a job where I had NO lacks, obviously, I was wrong to think there'd be a job I'd fit in without any effort to learn it further. But I really do love to learn, and would have no problem learning to do something I love.

@ Tom

For 1. I never meant that it wasnt your forums or anything offensive, its just that some administrators simply move threads where they need to be, and not answer any questions or anything, they just do things "by the book" (or bare minimum.)

For 2. Oh. Well alright then. Pardon me.

For 3. Alrighty, right after I post this, I'll take a look.

For 4. True. I'll save the spreadsheet and try it again tomorrow, maybe I'll feel differently about it tomorrow than I do today. Maybe not, in which case, I found my strengths.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement