🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Work Sample

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 11 months ago
Hi,

I am currently working on an application for an apployment as a game developer. In the employment they ask for an short work sample. My problem is, that all my applications are relatively huge, so none answers the question for a SHORT sample. So I thought about programming something new and short. Do you think that would be the right thing to do or should I hand in parts of my former works?

The next question about this is the exact things to hand in. Of course I will send the source code but whats about the executables?

Thanks
Nick
Advertisement
Why don't you ask the employer these questions?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I am currently working on an application for an apployment as a game developer. In the employment they ask for an short work sample. My problem is, that all my applications are relatively huge, so none answers the question for a SHORT sample. So I thought about programming something new and short. Do you think that would be the right thing to do or should I hand in parts of my former works?

Always remember the purpose: They want evidence that you can do the job well, and that you will fit in. That's really all an employer wants to know.

(More precisely, most want the opposite: they want evidence that you cannot do the job well or evidence that you will not fit in. The hiring process is exclusionary and you are looking for reasons to exclude, not reasons to include. I'd much rather stick with the positive form.)

If THEY asked for the information, then by all means as Tom wrote you should ask for clarification.

If YOU are submitting it with a resume or other document, then it becomes much more open. You really ought to be able to decide what provides good evidence and what does not; if you cannot decide what is important, that too is evidence toward those answers.
It just occurred to me that perhaps the good doctor cannot ask, because he's just looking at an online application. In which case, here are some ideas:
1. Put your portfolio online, and give them a link to it.
2. Don't apply now. Make a smaller sample, and then apply.
3. You might be able to give them the big sample, but it depends on the method of delivery, whether it has size limits, whether they'd be able to make it work...

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement