🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GDC Online! ... ?

Started by
4 comments, last by dbgamer 12 years, 10 months ago
Hello all!

Looks like GDC Online is coming up soon. I'm trying to figure out which pass I should purchase. This depends heavily on a few things:

1. I'm going to be looking for jobs in Austin in December. It would be nice to have connections before I start looking. Which of the following passes would you suggest for networking?
    • Summits & Tutorials
    • Main Conference Sessions
    • Game Career Seminar
  • I'm going so I can learn some of the tricks of the trade. I've been working with a lot of HTML5 & Unity3d lately & would like to pick up some tips from people who know what they are doing.My gut instinct is to go for the Main Conference Sessions because there is a good amount of material there, not to mention that I'd be around professionals.

However, you guys may have a different opinion? Is it rude or less effective to network around the main sessions? Perhaps the tutorials are better suited for my field?

I appreciate any feedback. Also, hope to see you at the GDC!

Thank you.
  • Advertisement

1. Which of the following passes would you suggest for networking?
    • Summits & Tutorials
    • Game Career Seminar
      2. Is it rude or less effective to network around the main sessions?

1. It doesn't matter. You do networking in the halls, on the stairs, out on the sidewalk.
    2. No. Make sure you have a business card. And do the networking tips.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hello all!

Looks like GDC Online is coming up soon. I'm trying to figure out which pass I should purchase. This depends heavily on a few things:

1. I'm going to be looking for jobs in Austin in December. It would be nice to have connections before I start looking. Which of the following passes would you suggest for networking?
      • Summits & Tutorials
      • Game Career Seminar

I would suggest against the game career seminar as iirc it only lets you be there for 1 day and it's the 1 day that there will be 200 other kids running around bugging people.

The other two are more a toss up, and I only know which passes give the most benefit at GDC in SF. Is there a convention as well at GDC online and can you get into that with any of the passes? Does the main conference pass include summits and tutorials? For GDC I believe it does not, and they have a pass that gets you into both.

How much can you afford? Have you looked at which summits/tutorials vs main conference sessions are actually going on? Pick one that seems most applicable to what you want to be learning. As much as it is about networking you're wasting a great career development opportunity if that's ALL you're getting out of it.

1. It doesn't matter. You do networking in the halls, on the stairs, out on the sidewalk.
    2. No. Make sure you have a business card. And do the networking tips.

1. Sounds good. I can just focus on what I need to know then.
    2. I'll definitely be doing the networking tips. I've been reading yours and Darius Kazemi's this week.
    Thanks again Mr. Sloper.

I would suggest against the game career seminar as iirc it only lets you be there for 1 day and it's the 1 day that there will be 200 other kids running around bugging people.

The other two are more a toss up, and I only know which passes give the most benefit at GDC in SF. Is there a convention as well at GDC online and can you get into that with any of the passes? Does the main conference pass include summits and tutorials? For GDC I believe it does not, and they have a pass that gets you into both.

How much can you afford? Have you looked at which summits/tutorials vs main conference sessions are actually going on? Pick one that seems most applicable to what you want to be learning. As much as it is about networking you're wasting a great career development opportunity if that's ALL you're getting out of it.

It seems like the structure of GDC Online is pretty similar to GDC in San Francisco (main difference being the direction of content).
    I'm only either going to the sessions or the summit/tutorial passes.

The tutorials seem like they are introducing people to new technologies. ([font="Arial"][size="1"][color=#339A92](203) Unity Track Day (Presented by Unity Technologies)[/font])
    The sessions seem like they are building on those who know it ([color=#2B619D][font="Arial"][size="1"][color=#2B619D]Building a Multithreaded Web Based Game Engine Using HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript[/font])

I definitely want to pick the one that I would learn the most valuable knowledge from. So I'm leaning towards sessions. Looking at the summits and tutorials, it seems like I wouldn't get as much out of it.

Thanks for the advice!

I definitely want to pick the one that I would learn the most valuable knowledge from. So I'm leaning towards sessions. Looking at the summits and tutorials, it seems like I wouldn't get as much out of it.

Do they not have the all in one pass thingy?

[quote name='dbgamer' timestamp='1314113674' post='4852815']

Do they not have the all in one pass thingy?
    [/quote]

They do, but it's about $200.00 more than the session pass, which is over my price range.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement