🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Hello there!

Started by
18 comments, last by return0 12 years, 9 months ago
You did not read enough -- there are many FAQs on many sites.
You asked about various jobs in the game business. There are several links to those, not all on the same site.
You asked about schooling. There are several links to those, not all on the same site.
If you have a question that is not answered in the FAQs, ask a good clear question, and you'll get a good clear answer. This is the place to ask. This is the place to get answers.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement
[font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]

[color="#1C2837"][size=2]Great! What does this involve? Can you use any of this experience in these new career paths? If not, have you considered a job in a game making company which better reflects your current skill set, or are you really hoping for a change of careers?

Pretty much the experience i currently have is running the online side of the game. This includes competitive play and "just for fun" play of a game.
Also the community online, big tournaments with big money involved as well as online leagues. I have worked with many sponsors, player contracts, staff and pretty much the whole Public Relations package. *and many more*
[/quote]

This sounds like a good transition to go into basic QA (quality assurance) positions in game development. Pro competitive gamers usually become very focused at learning the ins and outs of a game, doing very specific things to get their skills down to perfection, and possibly spotting exploits and glitches in the game.

That said, QA testers don't play the game for the enjoyment or to get real good at it. They usually do short, repetitive tasks under restricted conditions, to test gameplay mechanics and report bugs and other inconsistencies. Inevitably you get to know the game real well from testing it a lot, but you can also get tired and burned out from just looking at the game and never want to touch it again biggrin.gif [/font]

It's the easiest position to get into, as you are usually in the "periphery" of the work that happens in the game company, and the requirements to get it are more expendable and easily replaceable. But in the meantime you should focus on a more involved area of interest to develop your skills and figure out for yourself what would be the best way you want to contribute to a company.
Electronic Meteor - My experiences with XNA and game development

If you want to be a programmer, but don't like maths..... forget about it.

Gotta be one of the biggest lies I have ever heard about programming. Sure you will get along in your career a lot easier if you know and are good at math. I HATE math and yet I am a programmer...

Remember to mark someones post as helpful if you found it so.

Journal:

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/908-xxchesters-blog/

Portfolio:

http://www.BrandonMcCulligh.ca

Company:

www.gwnp.ca

[quote name='RobTheBloke' timestamp='1315401853' post='4858607']

Gotta be one of the biggest lies I have ever heard about programming. Sure you will get along in your career a lot easier if you know and are good at math. I HATE math and yet I am a programmer...
[/quote]
Please bear with some innocent curiosity, Chester. No aspersions intended. Just trying to put the "math is necessary" issue into perspective, okay? For the sake of future advising.
Are you a professional programmer, working at a game company? And are you in the US or Canada or the UK or...? And do you work in 3D programming?

[quote name='XXChester' timestamp='1315425623' post='4858781']

[/quote]
Please bear with some innocent curiosity, Chester. No aspersions intended. Just trying to put the "math is necessary" issue into perspective, okay? For the sake of future advising.
Are you a professional programmer, working at a game company? And are you in the US or Canada or the UK or...? And do you work in 3D programming?
[/quote]

I currently live in Canada.
I could code a couple of stuff in PHP and HTML but thats it. I have studied c++ and java but very little.
And for the 3D programming, thats a no but if it's what i am looking to do, then i have no problem learning it.

[color=#1C2837][size=2]That said, QA testers don't play the game for the enjoyment or to get real good at it. They usually do short, repetitive tasks under restricted conditions, to test gameplay mechanics and report bugs and other inconsistencies. Inevitably you get to know the game real well from testing it a lot, but you can also get tired and burned out from just looking at the game and never want to touch it again [/quote]

Do gaming companies hire tester by tester or is there a company out there that offers the "testing" service once a product is completed?

I can't say i would love that kind of job as i have never tried it but i will look into it.

[color=#1C2837][size=2]It's the easiest position to get into, as you are usually in the "periphery" of the work that happens in the game company, and the requirements to get it are more expendable and easily replaceable. But in the meantime you should focus on a more involved area of interest to develop your skills and figure out for yourself what would be the best way you want to contribute to a company.[/quote]

You seem to understand what my old tasks where about and what eSports is.

I for sure would like to work on something else then just QA and be way more involved in a gaming company but i am still looking into what i would like to specialize in or which one i would like to start with.

[quote name='Tom Sloper' timestamp='1315427464' post='4858795']
[quote name='XXChester' timestamp='1315425623' post='4858781']

[/quote]
[/quote]
I currently live in Canada.[/quote]
My question was for Chester. But it's nice to know where you live too. Quebec?

Do gaming companies hire tester by tester or is there a company out there that offers the "testing" service once a product is completed?
[/quote]
You haven't read FAQ 5 yet, if you have to ask this. You should read FAQ 5, and find out a lot about the test/QA job.

[quote name='deepg' timestamp='1315433034' post='4858828'][quote name='Tom Sloper' timestamp='1315427464' post='4858795'][quote name='XXChester' timestamp='1315425623' post='4858781'][quote name='RobTheBloke' timestamp='1315401853' post='4858607']If you want to be a programmer, but don't like maths..... forget about it.
Gotta be one of the biggest lies I have ever heard about programming. Sure you will get along in your career a lot easier if you know and are good at math. I HATE math and yet I am a programmer...[/quote]Please bear with some innocent curiosity, Chester. No aspersions intended. Just trying to put the "math is necessary" issue into perspective, okay? For the sake of future advising. Are you a professional programmer, working at a game company? And are you in the US or Canada or the UK or...? And do you work in 3D programming?[/quote]I currently live in Canada.[/quote]My question was for Chester. But it's nice to know where you live too. Quebec?
Do gaming companies hire tester by tester or is there a company out there that offers the "testing" service once a product is completed?[/quote]You haven't read FAQ 5 yet, if you have to ask this. You should read FAQ 5, and find out a lot about the test/QA job.[/quote]

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I live in Canada and have 5 years professional development experience but no not in the games industry. I have however been making games as a hobbyist for about 4 years now.

I was not trying to say Math is not important because it surely is. I have to do some complicated math in my day job even though it is not a game programming job. I was simply saying that the bold statement that if you don't like math than you cannot be a programmer was a crock, that is all. :)

Remember to mark someones post as helpful if you found it so.

Journal:

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/908-xxchesters-blog/

Portfolio:

http://www.BrandonMcCulligh.ca

Company:

www.gwnp.ca

I was not trying to say Math is not important because it surely is. I have to do some complicated math in my day job even though it is not a game programming job. I was simply saying that the bold statement that if you don't like math than you cannot be a programmer was a crock, that is all. :)

OK, thanks for the clarification.

You don't need to be good at math, you just have to understand complex math statements, operations, proceedures, algorithms, tables, variables, equations, and formulas....

To me, being good at math means being able to solve complex equations quickly, ussually in your head. I suck at doing that.....and I hate math....but I know how to get my answers.

If you dont have a strong grasp on mathmatics principles and advanced mathmatics, then forget intermediate programming. Logic, problem solving, geometry, trigonometry, algerbra and basic math are all fundimental pre-requisits of learning to program on a professional level, to be efficient, your next step is a general understanding of data structure, processing and transfer, hardware and os programming
(knowing limitations of target hardware and systems, memory usage, utilizing multithreading when possible, hardware accelleration, etc etc.).
It is a myth that you need exceptional maths skills to be a professional games programmer. High school trig and some linear algebra/calc is generally enough for most problems.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement