🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Getting a job in the industry

Started by
2 comments, last by emark.mark20 12 years, 9 months ago
Hey guys, I'm new to these forums and I wanted to ask how do I get into the gaming industry? I know this was asked many times before but there are some things I want to clear up.

- First off, i am not in one of those "gaming schools" (ie Full Sail, LOL I wish i was though). In fact, I am attending a college in new york city, brooklyn: CUNY Brooklyn College. (Obviously i live in NYC as well).
-As of right now, I am a freshmen straight off from high school and I intend to major in computer science or multimedia computing. I am taking a introductory course to C++ so of course, I am beginning to program.
(This is also because I read that there are gamedesign calsses as well here but to take them,i need to take the C++ corse mentioned above )
- Currently, I am looking for a part time job to pay my tuition and I was thinking if there are QA testing positions I could take up (Except I don't thnink there are any in NYC)

Im just wondering, would I have to move out of the city and relocate somewhere else to break into the gaming industry, would i have to transfer to a school like Full Sail (there is one in manhatthan called Fasion Institute of Technology and it may have something like that). and how would you suppose I get a job? I don't really know anyone in the industry and i have heared that if you want to be in, you have to know someone in the industry.

Thanks for all your help in advance

Advertisement
just to add something here

-Im thinking of a job in game design or something like what Cliffy B (Gears of War), Shigeru Myamoto (Zelda) and Hideo Kojima (Metal gear solid) does. Any advice how to get those positions?
[quote name='emark.mark20']
1. I read that there are gamedesign calsses as well here but to take them,i need to take the C++ corse mentioned above
2. I am looking for a part time job to pay my tuition and I was thinking if there are QA testing positions I could take up
2.5. (Except I don't thnink there are any in NYC)
3. Im just wondering, would I have to move out of the city and relocate somewhere else to break into the gaming industry
4. would i have to transfer to a school like Full Sail (there is one in manhatthan called Fasion Institute of Technology and it may have something like that).
5. and how would you suppose I get a job?
6. i have heared that if you want to be in, you have to know someone in the industry.
7. Im thinking of a job in game design or something like what Cliffy B (Gears of War), Shigeru Myamoto (Zelda) and Hideo Kojima (Metal gear solid) does. Any advice how to get those positions?
[/quote]
1. Programming is not a prerequisite for true "game design." Your school probably uses a non-standard definition of the term (many schools do, for marketing reasons).
2. QA isn't really a part-time job.
2 1/2. Wrong. Check gamedevmap and gameindustrymap (links to them in this forum's FAQs).
2 3/4. And wow, your typing/spelling is really bad, isn't it!
3. You could do that. Read FAQs 24 and 27 (this forum's FAQs link is above).
4. No. Read the FAQs on game schools.
5. By not doing any of the usual dumb tricks, and by doing the right things described in FAQ 27.
6. You have heared wrong. ^_^
7. By getting a job in the industry (any job) and then climbing up the ladder.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

[quote name='emark.mark20']
1. I read that there are gamedesign calsses as well here but to take them,i need to take the C++ corse mentioned above
2. I am looking for a part time job to pay my tuition and I was thinking if there are QA testing positions I could take up
2.5. (Except I don't thnink there are any in NYC)
3. Im just wondering, would I have to move out of the city and relocate somewhere else to break into the gaming industry
4. would i have to transfer to a school like Full Sail (there is one in manhatthan called Fasion Institute of Technology and it may have something like that).
5. and how would you suppose I get a job?
6. i have heared that if you want to be in, you have to know someone in the industry.
7. Im thinking of a job in game design or something like what Cliffy B (Gears of War), Shigeru Myamoto (Zelda) and Hideo Kojima (Metal gear solid) does. Any advice how to get those positions?

1. Programming is not a prerequisite for true "game design." Your school probably uses a non-standard definition of the term (many schools do, for marketing reasons).
2. QA isn't really a part-time job.
2 1/2. Wrong. Check gamedevmap and gameindustrymap (links to them in this forum's FAQs).
2 3/4. And wow, your typing/spelling is really bad, isn't it!
3. You could do that. Read FAQs 24 and 27 (this forum's FAQs link is above).
4. No. Read the FAQs on game schools.
5. By not doing any of the usual dumb tricks, and by doing the right things described in FAQ 27.
6. You have heared wrong. ^_^
7. By getting a job in the industry (any job) and then climbing up the ladder.
[/quote]

Whoa, the FAQ has loads of advice! :) Thanks (I'll work on the spelling too).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement