🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Demos

Started by
1 comment, last by L. Spiro 12 years, 9 months ago
So here is something that I have been thinking of lately, When an aspiring programmer is trying to land a position in the industry, it is a given that one should have a couple of game demos. So my question is if you are looking at becoming a gameplay programmer, should one use a pre existing game engine, and create a fascinating original game idea using the engine. The reason I ask is because most of the time using a pre existing engine comes preload with game demos and useful code to get an idea of the flow of things, and as a added feature comes with some cool 3d models.

So would potential employers frown at this.
Advertisement
You can use an existing engine. You should do some programming of your own in the context of the game, to solve some problem inherent in the game's design (that's not supported by the engine). And you should be prepared to talk about what you did, show your code, and explain how you solved the problem.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

While the above advice is also pertinent, you can raise your chances of getting into the industry by applying to smaller companies.
These types of companies don’t often use game engines such as Unreal Engine 3 etc., and often just make one-or-two-man games over a period of 2 or 3 months, often for iPhone these days.
There are so many of these companies and it is so easy to get into them that your chances of getting into the industry skyrocket if you include these in your target scope, just as a starting point.

But these types of companies are more interested in your ability to make a simple game from the ground up. If you would like to include these companies as a potential starting point, you need to make a simple game from scratch. I would suggest targeting iPhone (but use as little Objective-C as you can; stick to C++) because it is very easy for one person to make what seems like a complete and modern product on that platform, and you can carry the iOS device in with you when you go into the interview.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement