🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Undergrad education question

Started by
3 comments, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 8 months ago
I've decided to pursue a career in the gaming industry. My specific career goal is to be a scriptwriter and, maybe later, a designer. Towards that end, I'm considering going to Dakota State University and getting the degree they offer in Digital Storytelling. Does anyone know anything about that program, or if that school's various game-related programs of study are any good?
Advertisement

I've decided to pursue a career in the gaming industry. My specific career goal is to be a scriptwriter and, maybe later, a designer. Towards that end, I'm considering going to Dakota State University and getting the degree they offer in Digital Storytelling. Does anyone know anything about that program, or if that school's various game-related programs of study are any good?

This should probably be in "Breaking In"

That said, the scriptwriter/designer role isn't really anything you'll gain a huge amount of knowledge from a scriptwriting/design program. It's far too liquid a subject imo. You'd be better off getting a liberal arts degree and working your ass off or working your way into a designer role from another angle like programmer or producer.

As far as I know script writers aren't in quite as abundant demand as other roles either. Most games only need 1 writer where they will need 10s of programmers/other roles. It's often in a game's best interest to just hire an experienced and renowned writer in a similar genre.

So write a best selling novel.
Man I have a few friends with English Lit degrees and I know the fun they had finding meaninful work. I can't imagine getting into an even more specialized subset!

In other words, my recommendation is don't do it, unless its an exercise of pure self interest.
Moved to "Breaking In."

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Rob, if your passion is storytelling and writing, then go for the degree you want the most. Your life will sort itself out. Read the FAQs why doncha (you can scroll up and click the FAQs link).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement