🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Career in Game Industry/Game Design

Started by
0 comments, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 7 months ago
Hi all,

I am looking to change career and work in game development/design as it has always been my passion. I wonder if can get some recommendations on the best way to get a job in the game industry as a designer (although I understand moving into into this kind of role could take time). I have used C++ and the DirectX 9 SDK as well as Game Maker in the past to make basic 2d shooters/platform games.

I have a particular interest in First Person shooters and was wondering if anyone can recommend a good way to get started here?

My other question is what are the requirements of someone looking to attract the attention of games studios, what do they look for? Should I have a portfolio of work as standard to demonstrate my skills? If so, what is currently recommended with regards to engines, techniques, types of games, GDDs, etc?

Many Thanks for your suggestions.
Advertisement
Hi Asimov,
This post is moved to the Breaking In forum. Many of your questions are answered in the Breaking In FAQs. Please scroll up and click the FAQs link.
Standing by for follow-up questions after you read the FAQs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement