🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Can I go to university and which one?

Started by
2 comments, last by Azgur 12 years, 6 months ago
Hey, I'm still on second school now, and I'm studying [font="verdana, arial"]Humanities and social sciences. I'm wondering if this is enough to go to university and study Game Programming. I'm also wondering where and which university I should pick as I live in Belgium and there isn't any game-related thing, except DAE but that's more modelling. I'd like it to be in England, but I don't know which one is the best.[/font]
[font="verdana, arial"]
Thanks![/font]
Advertisement
You might have to skip the border to the Netherlands.

In Breda (fairly close to the border) is a university called NHTV.
They offer a Bachelor's level course called International Game Architecture and Design.
The entire course is taught in English.

I can personally recommend the programming track of the course.
Interns have gone out to companies like DICE, Funcom, Ubisoft, Lionhead.
Students have been credited on Killzone 3, Battlefield 3, Deus Ex: HR, Rayman Origins and more.

See http://made.nhtv.nl for more information, though I personally feel the site barely does justice to the level of quality the course delivers.

Feel free to ask me anything.

As a small note. I don't recommend the game design and indie game development track.
These are just your average cash cows.
These exist because the artist and programmer track lose 50% in the first year, only about 25% actually graduates.
(And that's a good thing. These courses are not for everyone. If they were, it would be a waste of your time and you wouldn't learn anything)
Remco van Oosterhout, game programmer.
My posts are my own and don't reflect the opinion of my employer.
Wow thanks :) I'm looking at International Game Architecture and Design now, but I'm wondering what the price is as it doens't seem to be mentioned. And do you need to have any drawing skills for that course, as I see some modelling or can you follow the programming course immediately?

EDIT: Nvm, just need the answer for the last question. about drawing skills.

Wow thanks :) I'm looking at International Game Architecture and Design now, but I'm wondering what the price is as it doens't seem to be mentioned. And do you need to have any drawing skills for that course, as I see some modelling or can you follow the programming course immediately?

EDIT: Nvm, just need the answer for the last question. about drawing skills.

You don't need any drawing or modelling experience for the programming course.
They do prefer you know some programming before you enter. This doesn't have to be game related.
For example, many of the new students used to code in PHP in their spare time, even though you're very unlikely to ever touch PHP as a game developer.
And even though these students still didn't know c++ when they began, they already had a giant head start just because they could program in a different language.
(you will get an introduction to modelling as part of the course, just to give some insight to the work artists do)

There are tons of applications every year and the school needs to make a selection from these.
The picks generally go out to people who can show some experience in programming and/or math.
Luckily, programming is something you can teach yourself and can find tons of posts on how to get started on this very forum.
You'll want to get a taste of it either way, to see if you actually enjoy programming :)

If you don't make the selection, there's a lottery.
However, this process may be different for foreign students.
You can actually just call them for information about this, it might even be easier to get in as a foreign student.
Remco van Oosterhout, game programmer.
My posts are my own and don't reflect the opinion of my employer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement