🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Which course is suitable for me? Computer Science or Games Programming?

Started by
7 comments, last by client 12 years, 4 months ago
Hello again, you are probably getting sick of been asked this question now but I would like to know the answer to this after I have told you a bit about me.

Firstly I would love to become a Games Programmer (doesn't everyone), I put in the time and effort which isn't the problem, I'm currently doing a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Software Development which I am really enjoying ( http://www.yorkcollege.ac.uk/courses/course2010.php?idToPostToPages=562&facultyId=2,&itemTitle=IT%20%28Software%20Development%29%20Edexcel/BTEC%20Level%203%20Extended%20Diploma%20&imageAvailable=27/0/725/##IT%20Software%20Development.jpg** ), i'm from the UK if you wondered, and I was thinking about going to University to do either Computer Science or Games Programming, but heres the problem after looking at the course outlines the Computer Science course includes Examinations, which leads me onto the fact that I'm dyslexic and find exams quite difficult to comprehend.

I got between C's and A*'s on my GCSE's but obviously this is going to be alot harder. On the other hand the Games Programming course features no exams.

So what i'm trying to ask is, is there still the chance that I could get a games programming job with whatever course I took (Obviously still need to put in the effort)?

Links to the courses.

Computer Science
http://www.tees.ac.uk/Undergraduate_courses/Computing/BSc_%28Hons%29_Computer_Science.cfm

Games Programming
http://www.tees.ac.uk/undergraduate_courses/Computer_Games/BSc_%28Hons%29_Computer_Games_Programming.cfm

Also both courses feature a work placement, but I presume only the Games Programming course will cater for the games industry placements.
Advertisement
There's always a chance to get into the industry with hard work and a good portfolio.
But I'm going to ignore that for now and focus on this sentence:

which leads me onto the fact that I'm dyslexic and find exams quite difficult to comprehend.

I'm dyslexic. I've had quite some hellish years due to this, but it also wasn't the end of the world.
I spent a day a week receiving 'remedial teaching' for a significant period, but I can honestly say that my dyslexia is no longer holding me back.

Dyslexia should never be used as an excuse to just not even try.
I've encountered this plenty of times and you probably have as well; people using dyslexia as an excuse to just not put in effort.

You'll find most universities are very willing to give students with dyslexia extra time on exams to compensate for their slower reading ability.
Dyslexia is actually very well documented and certainly is something you can learn to work around and compensate for.
Don't ever catch yourself using it as an excuse.

Can you tell English is not my native language?
Remco van Oosterhout, game programmer.
My posts are my own and don't reflect the opinion of my employer.
No I couldn't tell. biggrin.png

It's not my reading skills it's more my writing skills and how fast i write to be exact. So I am better off doing the Computer Science course, or would the Games Programming one be sufficient enough?

Thanks for the help.
So I am better off doing the Computer Science course, or would the Games Programming one be sufficient enough?

We give the same advice to you as we do to everyone who asks this question - not because we don't look at the specifics of your unique case, but because your specifics do not matter to this question, when your goal is to become a programmer and you enjoy programming. CS is recommended for all aspiring game programmers. See the FAQs (back out to the Breaking In forum, and look in "Getting Started" at upper right).

Oh, and BTW, nothing is "enough." FAQ 49.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I was thinking of doing the CS degree anyway, it just seemed (looking from the uni's website) that the Games Programming course included more programming than the CS degree but I agree that all the other stuff in the CS degree is much more useful, i just don't no if i will enjoy it more than the Games Programming degree and if the work placement is different.
Honestly, the best thing to do is email the uni or go along to a CS Open day and ask the lecturers what extra assistance you would receive. I did CS at Aston and a friend of mine with dyslexia got around 25% extra time in exams. He also got to sit in a separate quieter room to improve concentration.

Ultimately both of those courses will put you in a good position to enter the industry. A strong portfolio and passion for games are arguably more important. I did CS and now I'm a junior designer... My advice would be to read Tom's website from start to finish about 15 times. It really drills home the mentality you need to land a job!
Game Designer at Playground Games
Always go with the more general career in the IT field. If you get a games programming degree you'll be screwed, because software dev and computer science is just as good, but gives you a broader spectrum should something happen in your life or the games industry or the entire economy.

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

take a look what naughtydog asks for "[color=#333333][font=Helvetica, Helvetica,]B.S. in Computer Science and/or Mathematics or equivalent work experience" here [/font]http://www.naughtydo...cs_programmer1/

take a look what naughtydog asks for "[color=#333333][font=Helvetica, Helvetica,]B.S. in Computer Science and/or Mathematics or equivalent work experience" here [/font]http://www.naughtydo...cs_programmer1/

Pretty nice.

I think, courses that you have done, have big matter for your employer.
(( I am learning English. ))

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement