🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

C+C my cast of characters

Started by
3 comments, last by sunandshadow 22 years, 8 months ago
As you may or may not know, my latest game design project _Gimmie Those Wings!_ is getting started. Anyone who was previously interested in writing for one of my game designs is invited to get involved with this one, although it may be another week or two before I have anything for you to do. Meanwhile, I would like comments and criticism on my first attempt at chosing the cast of characters. This game is to be partially a comedy, so I tried to pick characters who would be good for lots of humerous interactions with each other. The PC - Very smart, a little jaded and skeptical. A creative artist. Introverted. NPC1 - Very self-confidant, tries to be the ultimate in coolness and style. Loves to play practical jokes, but these sometimes backfire and leave him/her looking very silly and anything but cool. Introverted. NPC2 - Placid-tempered, mothering, responsible, and amused with the world, but may lose his/her cool and whip out a mallet in the face of persistant irrationality or unreasonability. Manuvers the other characters like pieces on a chessboard, but always for their own good. Extroverted. NPC3 - The enthusiastic airhead who is kind, helpful, and clueless. Easily amused and distracted by bright colors or shiny things. Extroverted. NPC4 - The sexy but tempermental McGuyver-type. A great fighter and master of creative problem solving who is annoyed at the disorderliness, incompetence, and irrationality of most people, but likes the other characters in his/her little group because they''re ''family'', which he/she holds sacred and feels duty-bound to protect. Views the latecomer NPC5 as an interloper and possible threat to the unity of the family. Extroverted, but bad at it. NPC5 - The mysterious older lone-wolf who doesn''t know much about relating to people. Naturally has the innate coolness that NPC1 works so hard to imitate. Suddenly finds him/herself adopted into the other characters'' circle of friends and finds this baffling but mostly pleasant. Previously very introverted, now possibly becomming extroverted. So, is there anyone I could add to this mix to get even more funny interactions happening? Think of your favorite cartoon characters - do I have one who''s the same basic type, or is that type missing from my cast?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
I think you need a fussbudget type: one who is too persnicketty and organized, to the point of failing in actually accomplishing anything because everything must be just so first. These traits of course would absolutely annoy some of the others. NPC4 is more tolerant than the others, because he dislikes disorder also, but at least NPC4 knows when other things take precedence.
From what I''ve read of your game, the PC is mostly alone in his adventures. What are these NPCs for?

Knowing that might give some other ideas.

If they''re just locals, maybe one could be a shopkeeper?

--
Relee the Squirrel
-- Relee the Squirrel
NPC1 - Johnny Bravo from catoon network. "Hey moma!"

NPC2 - Typical support role girl in Anime/Manga.

NPC3 - Rash or shy ?

NPC4 - I don''t see a lot of humor from this guy from the description.

Possible NPC - Someone who''ll run away from the tiniest hint of danger but will sacrifice for the group. e.g. Scooby Doo and Courage the Cowardly Dog.

-------------Blade Mistress Online
Relee - These NPCs exist to form the social environment that the PC has to act within for Part I - Kindergarten, and they show up sometimes in the later parts. The PC has to get info from them, convince them to do things, help them with their problems, etc.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement