🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

posting executables for tests etc...

Started by
1 comment, last by fir 10 years, 6 months ago

Is it posibble to post some executables for people to download and run..?

With quest for benchmarking or testing on the user machines..? One can just post a link or what? This option I think would be good but there is ofc some chance for malware things (and both i would not like to damage others system or damage my own)

Advertisement

You'd be better off just sharing benchmarking code if it's not too big, plus that way people can set the optimizations to maximum for their machine and have more representative results. Otherwise all you're going to be benchmarking is the optimization/CPU tuning settings the binary was built with (which might not be necessarily bad - if you're going to be releasing whatever product you're making as a windows-only executable, there might be no problem with this approach, it's up to you to pinpoint your target audience).

Oh, and of course, the malware thing. Yes, fewer people will download your benchmark to give it a try if it's an executable. I don't think it's forbidden by the rules here since I see it all the time in the beginners section, but I'd recommend not posting too many, and making the most of the few people that are going to be downloading it (and, yes, this goes without saying, but don't abuse this by actually posting malware, or you'll be swiftly banned by a moderator).

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

You'd be better off just sharing benchmarking code if it's not too big, plus that way people can set the optimizations to maximum for their machine and have more representative results. Otherwise all you're going to be benchmarking is the optimization/CPU tuning settings the binary was built with (which might not be necessarily bad - if you're going to be releasing whatever product you're making as a windows-only executable, there might be no problem with this approach, it's up to you to pinpoint your target audience).

Oh, and of course, the malware thing. Yes, fewer people will download your benchmark to give it a try if it's an executable. I don't think it's forbidden by the rules here since I see it all the time in the beginners section, but I'd recommend not posting too many, and making the most of the few people that are going to be downloading it (and, yes, this goes without saying, but don't abuse this by actually posting malware, or you'll be swiftly banned by a moderator).

So I can just give a link to a zip file to download? (I mean not also benchmarking but testing if my code is working on ok variety of machines/gpus)

I strongly do not want to post a malvare I do not write such stuff (!),

but I do not know if i always can be sure that it is not infected by some

oldschol vir which infected the exe (are they still present ?) - though probably this was newer the case in my life, i got only one vir that

infecteds the pendrives, never meet the other one that infected my executables)

can I post also my game prototypes with a topic like "what do you think?" In which secton?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement