🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to deal with fire and forget questions?

Started by
38 comments, last by jacmoe 9 years, 2 months ago

Even if the original poster never returns, answers may be helpful to others who have similar questions.

But yes, sometimes the original post is utterly senseless. They often get torn to shreds pretty quickly (the culture here is to answer nonsense with nonsense, which works fine).

This.

There's 2 ways to consider building a knowledge base. The first is the stack overflow where there should only really be 1 post about a subject, with the answer clearly marked.

The other way is what is essentially being built on gamedev, which is providing a vast amount of knowledge on a subject.

Let's start with what's probably a pretty common topic, and follow the typical train of thought

http://www.gamedev.net/index.php?s=ea5c89da48971705c7b87927285f57de&app=googlecse#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=best engine for a beginner

Too many answers?

http://www.gamedev.net/index.php?s=ea5c89da48971705c7b87927285f57de&app=googlecse#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=best%20C%23%20engine%20for%20a%20beginner

Ok, not specific enough to what I want

http://www.gamedev.net/index.php?s=ea5c89da48971705c7b87927285f57de&app=googlecse#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=best%20C%23%20engine%20for%20a%20beginner%20to%20make%20an%20mmo%20with

Why's everyone say it's so hard?

http://www.gamedev.net/index.php?s=ea5c89da48971705c7b87927285f57de&app=googlecse#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=how%20hard%20is%20it%20to%20make%20an%20mmo%20with%20C%23

So yes, even answering "drive by questions" builds a knowledge base that answers the questions other people would ask.

Even for specific tasks (asking about instancing in directx) the first page of results has multiple answers for how to instance on directx 9 (well, kind of), 10, and 11.

http://www.gamedev.net/index.php?s=ea5c89da48971705c7b87927285f57de&app=googlecse#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=instancing%20with%20directx

Advertisement

It'd be nice if they respond, but even if they don't, the thread isn't an entire waste. As much as I love heartfelt kudos from people who I've helped, that's not the main reason why I post.

Its all for that sweet sweet rep isn't it=-P
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

You always seemed very keen on answering all those ambiguous questions you now tell you dont like seeing; and seemed to get points fast, because on average your posts got more positive than negative reactions.

Maybe you are just a bit tired of these? But changing the world to serve you is going to be difficult.

You could improve on not jumping as fast on such conclusions or assumptions about other people, btw.

One thing that I've noticed about this particular community here at Gamedev.net is that it seem to be consisting mostly of North-American people.

That's a fairly reasonable assumption. Obviously the community on our Facebook page are not necessarily representative of those who are active in the forums, but the top five home countries of our followers are reported as USA, India, Brazil, UK, and Poland, with the USA totalling almost as many fans as the following four countries combined. Numbers drop significantly outside of the top four.

The breakdown of reported languages may be more telling though, with English US and English UK far outnumbering any other language and English US around five times more common than English UK, which is in turn around three times more common than the next most popular language (Portuguese Brazil).

Interestingly, when you break down our fan base by city the US doesn't make an appearance until the tenth place.

I think the trend to favouring clarity and accurate writing is a good thing though, and in general most of our community do seem to be reasonably tolerant of non-English writers as long as they appear to be making an effort.

- Jason Astle-Adams

You could improve on not jumping as fast on such conclusions or assumptions about other people, btw.

I think I will hold up a mirror and throw that right back at ya.

In 2004 I joined the Ogre community and was invited to be a Ogre MVP in 2005 by Steeve Streeting (the project founder) because of my work in the Ogre forum.
Over 21K posts later I have almost become synonymous with the Ogre community.

Since I am also into web programming, I have been hanging around at the Yii Framework forum and asked to join the moderator team there. I am now an elite member with excellent reputation, due to my work in the community.

One thing that I am especially proud of is that, on the same day that I decided to give OpenSceneGraph a go (in addition to Ogre3D) I managed to convince the OSG team to turn me into a forum administrator.
They didn't know me, I haven't been part of the community, but I have a reputation so they gave me superpowers on merit alone. smile.png

I am 46 years old, born in Norway, raised in Denmark.
I am a teacher by profession (1992); elementary school.
I am a webmaster (2001) and have been fooling around with programming since then (Delphi, C/C++, VBscript, Python, Java, Lisp, PHP, ..) on Linux as well as on Windows.
Trekking in the mountains (Norway), rock climbing and electric guitar playing, gardening, literature and culinary arts..

You always seemed very keen on answering all those ambiguous questions you now tell you dont like seeing; and seemed to get points fast, because on average your posts got more positive than negative reactions.

I have always been very community oriented and have good talent for helping out people, especially newbies. You can say that it's my specialty.
I have never been, and probably never will be, an expert in anything.
Often I feel like I am an impostor tongue.png
Still, I have indeed picked up a great deal of knowledge in a lot of areas. I have a good overview and a good deal of experience.
I am not perfect.
I am passionate, emotional (my wife tells me that I am more woman than she is) and often rude, but I have the heart in the right place.

At this point, I am way beyond caring about points. biggrin.png

changing the world to serve you is going to be difficult.

The world is already serving me. smile.png
I am proud of my accomplishments, my work at Ogre3D, Yii Framework forum, Ogitor SceneBuilder and OpenSceneGraph. A lot of people know who I am, or have heard of me, so I am not really after recognition; I have already got it. ;)

Too many projects; too much time

From my experience in reading the For Beginners forum, I'd say there are three general types of people who respond to threads:

1) there are people who have recently come into their own as programmers and who are trying to pay back to the community at large the help that they received on the forums. They usually seem to post answers for a while, then get jaded and stop.

2) there are people with moderate experience who just want to be helpful in general, and who put their 2c worth in now and then when it suits their fancy.

3) there are the people who make up a small core of people who have a lot of experience and who spend a lot of time answering questions.

The first two groups are really inconsequential in the grand scheme of things (and I intend no offense with this statement towards people in these groups - I'm in the second group myself). While the intent of these people is good, on the whole, their tenure is short and there is a constant supply of people to take their place when they're no longer around. So really, it's the third set of people who really count. Perhaps it's just me, but I get the feeling that most of these people seem to have developed an instinct for knowing when a question is hopeless, and when it is just misguided.

And while sometimes even the regulars get it wrong and answer a thread that goes nowhere, these are the people who aren't going away, and who will be helping someone else tomorrow.

That's a fairly accurate observation as far as I can tell.

My intention was to help make sure that people don't burn themselves out before the graduate to become group 3 members.

I know that 'make sure' is naive, but it can't hurt to raise the topic once in a while to keep a certain level of awareness.

That's a fairly accurate observation as far as I can tell.

My intention was to help make sure that people don't burn themselves out before the graduate to become group 3 members.

I know that 'make sure' is naive, but it can't hurt to raise the topic once in a while to keep a certain level of awareness.

You're correct, it certainly doesn't hurt. however, I really don't feel that any measures should be taken to restrict what gets asked. I'm pretty sure that most people who are genuinely seeking help do actually get it, and methods for trying to eliminate the people who are wasting time would probably work against the people who need help but who just might just come across as trollish, either due to language barriers or just general inexperience.

edit:

P.S. I hope my comments do not come across as dismissive of your concerns. I do believe that as a community, self exploration is important. I just also believe that the For Beginners section needs to be more lenient in regard to the people who post there, as they are the people we really want to be encouraging to become a part of our community.

No, I didn't mean that we should police the forum.

It's more like discussing how we can identify weak questions (and make them better) and how to approach the issue so that people don't fall into the trap of guessing what the question might be and spend too much time and effort writing large and detailed answers to a question that doesn't exist.

Ask questions about the question; that would help the Original Posters as well as the good people who put an effort into providing answers.

I also fall into this trap on a regular basis when I forget to check if there is a question in the first place before I jump into answer mode..

I am after various tricks of the trade that people use when they discover that the question really sucks.

And how to handle the situation when people are putting way too much effort into something that doesn't exist. How to break it to them?

I know that we tend to become emotionally attached to a good answer in a topic when we wrote it.

That's all. smile.png

<edit>

And then there are the real trolls, but I guess you only learn to spot those when you are experienced enough.

Nothing really helps with trolls except walking away. (And good moderators).

</edit>

I am after various tricks of the trade that people use when they discover that the question really sucks.

Yeas, that's a tricky one. To be honest, I don't think there's a hard and fast rule. I know that for myself, I can usually determine when a thread isn't going to go anywhere, but I couldn't tell you exactly how I know. I guess it's just 20 years of internet experience. ;)

edit:

Upon further reflection, perhaps there isn't really time being wasted. Perhaps that time we're "wasting" replying to trolls is how we gain our experience.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement