🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

When is your game Polished?

Started by
4 comments, last by Orymus3 9 years, 1 month ago

So, my game development process is:

1. Think of a cool idea.

2. Prototype it (using stand-in graphics)

3. Replace the stand-in graphics with better graphics

4. Add FX (sound and visual).

5. Add menus (Intro, Outro, Pause)

6. Try to break the game (debugging).

7. Release.

But at what point is a game polished? What makes a game a polished game? Perfect graphics or considerate graphics? Quality sound, or any sound at all? Perfect physics system? Logical gameplay?

I have some neat looking games, but based on reviews, I am thinking they aren't polished enough. Any ideas?

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Advertisement

So, my game development process is:

1. Think of a cool idea.

2. Prototype it (using stand-in graphics)

3. Replace the stand-in graphics with better graphics

4. Add FX (sound and visual).

5. Add menus (Intro, Outro, Pause)

6. Try to break the game (debugging).

7. Release.

But at what point is a game polished? What makes a game a polished game? Perfect graphics or considerate graphics? Quality sound, or any sound at all? Perfect physics system? Logical gameplay?

I have some neat looking games, but based on reviews, I am thinking they aren't polished enough. Any ideas?

Yes, you want nice consistent graphics(not necessarily photorealistic, but they should look nice and must be consistent), sound and music that fits with your game but more importantly you want to polish the gameplay and level design.

Even a simple game like pong (with simple lines and squares for graphics) can be polished quite a bit without touching sound, music or graphics, (you can adjust the size of the playing field, the size of the paddles, the speed of the ball and paddles, the amount of control the player has over the ball, etc), There is a noticable difference between a pong clone where someone picked a few parameters that seemed ok and one where those small details have been carefully tuned to be as fun as possible.

I'm sure people here could give you some more direct advice if you told us more about your games.

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Here is a showcase for a few games I have been working on for IOS. I have been testing mostly:

http://www.gamepressapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2377

Polish is generally the result of time you spend against doing something that wasn't part of your initial to-do list, and got added to it after you thought you were done with it.

It demands that you finish early and dedicate time to polish.

It may be very hard, at time, to differentiate bugs from polish items, because their nature tends to vary based on who flags them.

Technically, a bug is something that cannot be really discussed (though that's arguably ever true). Polish items are generally much more subjective, and can only be flagged by those that have a good understanding of the game, the general vision, and the competition.

One key example is in platformers: you can get the jump functionality, but is it ever "right"?

By 'tweaking" the jump, you tend to tweak a lot of things (physics, level design limitations, combat, etc.) Getting the 'jump' mechanic 'right' isn't just a question of flagging a few bugs about it, but taking a step back, playing the game, and seeing what works or doesn't feel right, try something different, and see whether it makes anything else work better or worse.

Also polish is not a boolean value. It's really just a measure. Your game can always be more polish (there's no such thing as polish, it even becomes 'production value'). The question is really when are you satisfied with what you are shipping, and this all comes down to experience.

The more experienced you become, the more ideas you have on how to polish certain mechanics, but also, the more demanding your become of your own product. You won't settle for crappy execution and will need to gauge budget/time constraints vs what level of polish you are comfortable shipping with.

If you're wondering when your games are polished, ask yourself instead how you feel when you're shipping. Are you satisfied with the work done? Then, it's polished enough. If not, don't release unless you have to.

the issue is when I see something as okay, but users don't. It seems most succesful games get that one feature that is "it" and that one thing pushes them down the viral spiral. I think the game Brave had one of those "it" moments. It could be a feature or mechanic. It could even be something like tweaking the graphics.

All of these things play a role, and I guess this is where game development becomes as much an art as a science.

That's a different topic though.

A game going viral isn't about being polished:

It needs to be polished in that there are no horrible flaw, but it also needs an interesting core mechanic that makes you go 'oh!' and a polished game may lack that kind of spark at its core. It all falls down to original design, prototyping the idea if there is still a spark and ultimately keeping it alive throughout production.

That being said, a game with a spark but no polish won't go viral because people will 'trip' over all of the visible defects.

A good game has a well-executed design, a spark, and has sufficient polish so that the flaws don't get in the way.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement