🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Extra ads?

Started by
4 comments, last by jbadams 8 years, 10 months ago

I've been getting extra ads for the past few days. I'm definitely logged in.

If everyone is getting this, that's fine! They aren't much of a nuisance. But figured I'd mention it in case it was a bug.

7e29eb0662.png

Advertisement

The top one isn't technically an ad, it's something I manually entered into the announcement box.

We need to give the full priced business classifieds more exposure, and that's my temporary no-developer-effort needed solution.

I was only planning to leave it there for a couple of days, but if it's bothering people it can certainly be gone sooner.

As for the other one, we've always had that slot, but I don't think it's been enabled for a while - I believe it should be hidden for GDNet+ as part of your benefits though it's probably a directly sold advert rather than one from a bulk third-party provider - I'll shoot Mike an email tonight and make sure everything is ok with them.

- Jason Astle-Adams

You're right about the classifieds listing in the announcements box, it IS technically an ad and shouldn't be in that location.

I'll remove it tonight. Thanks for calling us on it, and apologies for the poor judgement. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

Removed the link to the classifieds advert. smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

I don't mind the ad in the announcement bar, sorry to give the wrong impression! sad.png

I tried to say that it wasn't a nuisance, but thought it was only showing up by mistake.

It just appeared at the same time as the "between posts" ad, so I thought they were related. Normally the "between posts" ad only appears when I'm not signed in to GameDev.net.

If I remember correctly, the ad after the first post is only supposed to show up if you aren't signed in. GDNet+ isn't required - any level of membership gets that one removed.

So when it appeared, I was thinking something got misconfigured.

If it's supposed to be there, because a sponsor directly paid for it, I'm fine with that!

If the ad in the announcement bar benefits GDNet, I'm fine with that also! They are both non-obtrusive ads.

I only mentioned it because I thought something was going wrong - either sitewide or, when after a few days nobody else mentioned the after-first-post ad, something going wrong on my account specifically.

No worries, I understood you - that doesn't mean it wasn't wrong to put an ad there though, and I just hadn't thought about that before your post. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement