🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Misuse of downvotes

Started by
17 comments, last by Khatharr 8 years, 7 months ago

I am not making a suggestion, so I don't think it belongs to CSI

Don't really care much about reputation, but its misuse irritates me a lot.

Unfortunately some people are heavily misusing the down-vote button.. http://www.gamedev.net/topic/673346-how-to-convert-jpg-to-snb/?view=findpost&p=5262923

I checked a link that was suggested and wrote that what they are discussing in the forum (link) is not the issue i have (more so i was looking for a programmatic solution because I was going to do the conversion in code- which is why i stated in OP that ... compatible with Java). How the hell do I get double downvotes for that? At worst state why that link was an answer or part of the answer

I believe this forum is also for learning. Incidentally i'm one of those people who don't know everything... no, in fact I probably don't know a lot. So I had thought stating that the discussions in that link wasn't the issue i was asking would probably be an opportunity for me to learn a bit more. But then it comes at a price. I immediately get downvotes!!!

Now I know what I should have said...

Yes sir! though I don't fully understand i'ill do exactly as you said. SIR

Downvotes shouldn't be disabled but they shouldn't be misused either!!! Maybe some people need to take some years off in a behavorial school and get mature first

Since they could give down votes for a harmless statement, my guess is these same people would pretend this thread is abusive, causing them distress and would press the report button!! So i'm now bracing myself for mod warnings, a heavy crash and all....

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

Advertisement
Hi.

I downvoted you because you completely missed the point of my post. I linked to a thread I found after some basic research to credit my claim that SNB files could possibly be used a zip files, if there isn't any required metadata to go along with it.

You then went off on a tangent about my source, without reading the rest of my post.
So, yeah. Not really contributing to the discussion. dry.png

Though, I do still plan to give you an upvote when you update us on whether or not it worked.

Maybe it could work if i was doing the conversion manually but i need to do it in code. So can't even test that suggestion.

The compression i use as you see from image doesn't have .zip or .snb

[attachment=29740:convertTo snb.png]

Or maybe i'm missing something. I probably have to move back to technical forum

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

You then went off on a tangent about my source, without reading the rest of my post.

So, yeah. Not really contributing to the discussion

Did I? .... Am not going to get petty over this

FWIW, starting a post, which is not answering a question, with "No." is quite rude.
That could get you some downvotes...

Now I know what I should have said...
Yes sir! though I don't fully understand i'ill do exactly as you said. SIR.
Maybe some people need to take some years off in a behavorial school and get mature first.
So i'm now bracing myself for mod warnings, a heavy crash and all....

Your reaction right here is very immature. Kettle, black...

FWIW, starting a post, which is not answering a question, with "No." is quite rude.
That could get you some downvotes...

Maybe that is a cultural thing ... in my head i was just stating that i didn't see how that link was the answer. I started the sentence the way it seemed natural in my head not meaning to be rude. It just so happens its now classified as rude. I will take your word for it

In fact i think the down votes - psychologically makes people see (want to find something) negative in the sentence.

In other words, it exaggerates it to make it seem rude. But like I said ultimately i will take your word for it

Your reaction right here is very immature. Kettle, black...

My reactions because I was furious that my simple statement received double down votes? Again i will take your word for it

But you know what - i've seen much much worse statements here passed off as mere discussions/conversations, so i guess it depends on who is involved. (now even the original post seem classified as rude as its getting down voted also)

Maybe it could work if i was doing the conversion manually but i need to do it in code. So can't even test that suggestion.

Zip based archive formats such as snb are very frequently just renamed zip archives with some requirements on the content, the manual approach will give you all the information you need to replicate the process in code using the java.util.zip library, The manual process was never suggested by anyone as a replacement for the programmatic process, it was recommended as a first step in figuring out the format.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Downvotes aren't worth worrying about. Everyone gets a few every now and again and except in rare circumstances where someone is a complete ass, the general trend is always upwards.

Don't sweat the small stuff :)

The whole point of downVOTEs is that they reflect what people think, there's no misusing, i could downvote "just because i don't like you" and it would still be plenty valid a VOTE, this is why it's a vote and not a report, so it can be used as much as anyone want and as they wish.

...snip...

Don't worry about it. Click on your reputation next to your user name to see the graph of your reputation. You're trending up. Don't worry too much about the occasional down vote. They happen.

So I had thought stating that the discussions in that link wasn't the issue i was asking would probably be an opportunity for me to learn a bit more.

But you only stated 'this is not it', nothing more, in a quite definitive way. Easy to read differently from your intended meaning.

I learned that it pays to read your entire post at least once between 'it's finished' and pressing 'post', as if someone else wrote it. So many things go through your head while you write, and it's surprisingly often that you didn't entirely add everything just as you wanted. In particular, try reading the post 'in the wrong way'. It doesn't work always, but often it gives you points that need more careful explanation such that the intended meaning surfaces more strongly.

Last but not least, assume the other person is trying to help you. In his mind, the given answer is helpful. If you find it otherwise, there is probably a miscommunication somewhere. Ask for clarification on the precise points that you fail to understand. (I often start doing that, and while thinking start to see what the other person actually means to say, thus solving my problem.)

Communication between people is complicated, especially on a text medium between people from different parts of the world. It takes time to master this skill smile.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement