🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Misuse of downvotes

Started by
17 comments, last by Khatharr 8 years, 7 months ago

Maybe it could work if i was doing the conversion manually but i need to do it in code. So can't even test that suggestion.

Why not? What prevents you from importing java.util.zip, creating a ZipOutputStream and using some_arbitrary_name.ndb as output file name? To me, it looks like you didn't even consider trying this suggestion (which, as far as I can tell, should just work).

Advertisement

Why not? What prevents you from importing java.util.zip, creating a ZipOutputStream and using some_arbitrary_name.ndb as output file name? To me, it looks like you didn't even consider trying this suggestion (which, as far as I can tell, should just work).

thanks. I wasn't aware java.util.zip imports is available. And also using @monophonics advice i've made a start!!.

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

The whole point of downVOTEs is that they reflect what people think, there's no misusing, i could downvote "just because i don't like you" and it would still be plenty valid a VOTE, this is why it's a vote and not a report, so it can be used as much as anyone want and as they wish.

Downvotes are supposed to be a way to keep spam in check.

This doesn't work when people use downvotes as a form of censorship. (this is why reddit is a joke, its a site full of areas of people who are all in 100% agreement with each other so no productive debate of any kind can be had because you'll be downvoted until your account is hidden if you aren't in 100% agreement with everyone in that subreddit)

I downvote anyone who downvotes me, as well as anyone who downvotes newbs.

I upvote almost anyone who replies to a topic I start as long as its not completely wrong.

We don't use the rating system for that (regardless of how reddit may use their own rating system).

We have moderators to deal with spam, and the report to moderator button for users to notify moderators when they see spam (and a zero tolerance for spam, in general).

Downvoting a spam account is completely pointless, because they will be banned from the forum as soon as a moderator catches up to them, and the downvote doesn't help us identify them.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I downvote anyone who downvotes me, as well as anyone who downvotes newbs

So basically the concept is people that downvote you (in other words, they disagree with the information/opinion you provided) are now targeted for the simple reason they downvoted you? That seems to me to be much more 'misuse' of the system. Perhaps I am misunderstanding?

Honestly a majority (probably >95%?) of the downvoted posts I see are usually for a reason, whether clear to the recipient or not. These include particularly abrasive comments, personal attacks, or people just begging for others to tell them exactly what to do. Here and there I see a few I am confused about, but it usually comes down to someone appearing to blow off the information provided instead of just asking for clarification. Asking for clarification is so much better than stating the information is useless.

If you (meaning you in a generalized sense) have problems with repeated downvotes just take your time writing a reply. Type it up, re-read it, cut out pointless information, and repeat.

People should all just be like me.

Laid-back, easy-going, super-friendly, polite to everyone, super-patient, etc.

Can’t we all just get a bong get along?

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

The system has evolved quite a lot over the years. It certainly isn't as bad as it used to be, where posting about your ratings was a surefire way to have them plummet:

18-20102004.gif

Back under the very old systems a decade ago points were slow to accumulate and were based on people rather than posts. Reaching 500 or 1000 points required a lot of posts and popularity. it was very easy to lose reputation points, and a few people took efforts to keep their reputation at zero, the minimum value. The newer systems made acquiring reputation points very easy. Just like the entitlement culture, these days you get points just for showing up.

Even with the changes that have been made over the years, yes, there are a few people who misuse and abuse the voting system.

Fortunately there are many protections in place. An individual can only do a limited amount of damage in downvotes, and each downvote they issue has a cost to their own reputation that discourages the act. Upvotes are encouraged and rewarded.

Further, when people report abuses of the voting system (see the 'Report' button) we can look it over and take steps to repair the damage.

As currently implemented it is easy to get reputation points. A determined individual could easily boost their reputation by a hundred points in a single day with a bit of research and writing.

Use the "Report" button for that.

Instead of getting a -1 penalty for downvoting a post, you get a bunch of reputation points when the moderation team agrees with your report.

We can also remove the spam and ban the spammer rather than letting the spam accumulate on the site.

So report problems like spam and misplaced advertising. If nothing else, your reputation will thank you.

People should all just be like me.
Laid-back, easy-going, super-friendly, polite to everyone, super-patient, etc.
Can’t we all just get a bong get along?

L. Spiro

Actually, I have a little theory about this. Make sure you offend significantly less than your threshold for being offended by others. I call the the TTL version of the golden rule: A TTL gate needs to accept anything between 0V and 0.8V as a "0", but it needs to output "0" as something between 0V and 0.4V, and that way all the gates "get along".

Make sure you offend significantly less than your threshold for being offended by others.

Sounds both impossible and also incredibly boring.

I was furious

34ffb69911.gif

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement