🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Where do you find your artist?

Started by
11 comments, last by Envy123 8 years, 6 months ago

I found my writer at GDC by going to the IGDA Meeting there. I found my 2D and 3D artists advertising on bunch of sites (reddit r/gamedevclassifieds, tigsource, gamedev, craigslist, facebook Gamedev groups, twitter etc)

Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...
Advertisement

I found my 2D and 3D artists advertising on bunch of sites (reddit r/gamedevclassifieds, tigsource, gamedev, craigslist, facebook Gamedev groups, twitter etc)

Never thought of using social sites like reddit or twitter.

I have used craigslist before, however I find it's mostly app clone or architectural work.

The largest problem I can see with social sites is that, for the client, it will be hard to judge the quality of the artist.

With that said portfolio sites are not much better, as artist will spend weeks on a single portfolio image and only days on a actual product.

I've had some artists approach me after playing a demo I put up on IndieDB.

Community forums for Unity/UE4 are also great places to find artists, and I find that artists who know their way around the game engine you're using would decrease hassle in getting the asset working well and looking good in the engine.

Bear in mind that UE4 (Unity as well, I believe) uses PBR, and to get good looking materials, you need to get acquainted with material nodes. And the top artists in the UE4 forums would also set up materials for you in the editor, included in their price.

It's not just specify-pay-import-done, unfortunately!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement