🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Yet another chat bug: > shows up instead of > and sometimes vice versa.

Started by
11 comments, last by Brain 8 years, 5 months ago

Okay, the chat is having some problems not showing certain chars correctly all of a sudden. This was never an issue before until recently. So far, it mostly has to do with '<' and '>' showing up as '&lt;' and '&gt;', respectively. Not sure if it's within an admin's control, but there's enough bugs in the chat already. Any admins want to take a look?

Shogun.

Advertisement

Left is what I see locally when typing them. Right is what everyone else sees:

zKL0dhH.png

so...any word on whats up with this?
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

Well this is just sad.. This is game development site with chat room and the room is so unfriendly to code. If anybody asks for help there and people are willing to help, they almost cant write even single line because of this.. Imagine showing example with std::vector and it throws such mess..

There are buttons for bold italic or underlined text, just adding code button there would be such an improvement... it cant be such deal for small snipets with 4 lines or something.. Of corse pastebin option too but I would consider pastebin for A4 page butnot for 2 or 3 lines..

Well this is just sad.. This is game development site with chat room and the room is so unfriendly to code. If anybody asks for help there and people are willing to help, they almost cant write even single line because of this.. Imagine showing example with std::vector and it throws such mess..

I still don't get why the irc channel was dropped in favour of an html chat facility. Such facilities are never as good and never have as many users...

Uh, you've been in there long enough to know that this is a recent bug, likely to do with some back-end change or update that happened. I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Yes it's annoying, but it's just a bug.

I still don't get why the irc channel was dropped in favour of an html chat facility. Such facilities are never as good and never have as many users...

The IRC channel split off from the site because of a lack of interest by the GDNet staff and moderation team in moderating the IRC and with issues in maintaining the same rules and same moderation team (moderators -> ops) in sync and enforced. #gamedev still exists and is still well-populated.

<shameless-plug>

My IPBoard Chat Extension Greasemonkey script, can automagically workaround the issue by adding this filter around line 260:

, /* wtf */ [
	/[<>]/g,
	function ext_wtf_filter(match){
		return '&#'+match.charCodeAt(0)+';';
	}
],
</shameless-plug>

Just sayin'...

Seems to me like IPB rush out their 'updates' without proper testing, and somebody needs to hit them repeatedly with a cluebat until they learn how to do proper testing...

The IRC channel split off from the site because of a lack of interest by the GDNet staff and moderation team in moderating the IRC and with issues in maintaining the same rules and same moderation team (moderators -> ops) in sync and enforced. #gamedev still exists and is still well-populated.
Its not like there can only be only one channel you know?

#gdnet with a IRC web client in the site anyone?

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Its not like there can only be only one channel you know?

#gdnet with a IRC web client in the site anyone?

The IRC channel split off from the site because of a lack of interest by the GDNet staff

I mean, sure, you're welcome to make your own IRC channel though (so long as you don't call it the official GDNet channel or otherwise infringe on GDNet's trademark, etc).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement