🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Yet another chat bug: > shows up instead of > and sometimes vice versa.

Started by
11 comments, last by Brain 8 years, 5 months ago

Well this is just sad.. This is game development site with chat room and the room is so unfriendly to code. If anybody asks for help there and people are willing to help, they almost cant write even single line because of this.. Imagine showing example with std::vector and it throws such mess..

I still don't get why the irc channel was dropped in favour of an html chat facility. Such facilities are never as good and never have as many users...

to be fair though, the chat maintains our logged in profiles, which is nice as it means for the most part everyone is tied to a real account, no shenanigans with alt nicks and stuff(granted irc does have a facility for ensuring people can register there nicks). honestly i'm surprised the chat does so little in relation to the site, i could see making cross site linking and quick loading board threads(in the same manner of how you can peek at threads without entering them) in the chat itself would be pretty nice.

Seems to me like IPB rush out their 'updates' without proper testing, and somebody needs to hit them repeatedly with a cluebat until they learn how to do proper testing...

this chat seems to me to be unreleated from either the core dev team, or the IPB themselves(may be a 3rd party solution?) as the underlying code is vastly different from the sites main code, and a number of hacky things are in it if you go digging.

edit: Josh has pointed out to me(in chat nonetheless) that the chat is maintained by IPB, in which case. wtf, can a ticket or something be generated for fixing this?
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
Advertisement
For what it's worth, we're currently investigating a possible major update for the whole site which will hopefully resolve some of these issues.

We don't currently have a time-frame though, and we'll need to test what is or isn't fixed before making the upgrade for the live site.

- Jason Astle-Adams

and we'll need to test what is newly broken even worse

There. I fixed it for you :lol:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement