🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

So difficult to find 3d artists!

Started by
8 comments, last by Envy123 8 years, 4 months ago

I've struggled with finding 3d artists to work on my project ever since it's inception in 2008 (it's a profit sharing project). In fact I still don't have a dedicated 3d artist, yet I have 3 programmers, a composer, and a 2d artist all working well with me. WHY are 3d artists so hard to find and keep? Do other's have issues with this as well?

Advertisement

Where have you been looking? I have seen complaints from both sides of not being able to find artists/programmers.

If you're spending all your time on sites with high programmer populations and some artists (such as here) then it can be a hard get the attention of the limited pool of artists. However if you go hang out on more art centred forums, then you'll be one of the few programmers and give yourself rather improved odds.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

Are you asking about volunteers or employees? I find it very easy to find and keep people as long as I pay them laugh.png

It is a matter of confidence.

If you look at art, you can rate the quality quickly and you have more confidence, that the artist is able to provide what is needed for your project. On the other hand, just by looking at code or a program, it is extremly hard to rate the quality of the work.

Is the coder able to finish the project ? Is he able to master technically issues ?

Being a 3d artist of certain quality requires years of work and dedication and a 3d artist will have good chances to get a paid job, whereas contributing to project for profit sharing is not really as attractive (and bears much more risk).

On the other hand, getting a small, but impressiv, demo running is not really hard for a skilled coder, but finishing a whole game project is an other matter.

I've struggled with finding 3d artists to work on my project ever since it's inception in 2008 (it's a profit sharing project).

If it's a profit-sharing project that's dragged on for 8 years, that might be a good part of the problem. If you've taken 8 years so far - apparently just for sound and code, how much longer will it take for art? If i was a potential artist considering working for you, i'd be hesitatnt to do any "profit share" project with you just based on that number. "Profit share" to me translates to "very slim chance of getting paid, but at least you'll get exposure". But, if you've spent 8 years on it, what's another 4? I want exposure now, not in 4,5,or 6 years.

Also, if you don't have any art assets yet or just ugly placeholders, it's harder to find an artist. Catch-22 for sure, but that's how it works. Programmers might be drawn by clever design and examples of existing code and promises of an artist making their code look like a game, but artist don't want their hard work crammed into a game that looks like crap. If i were to work on a profit-share project, I'd hope that the existing assets looked good enough to compliment the assets i contribute. Then, even if the project is never completed I can still use screenshots in my portfolio.

Another thing you may not have considered - how much pressure are you trying to put on potential artists? If you've been developing this game forever, you probably have a massive list of assets you need made. If you list looks something like this:

Concepts, Textures, models and animations for the following:

-5 player character models : each with 6 seperate outfits.

-20 weapon models

-3 attack-types for each weapon for each character

-20 enemy models

-10 levels

And this kind of list would be fairly modest for a 3d game, but if you want aproach a single artist and say "we need this" they're just going to laugh and move on, because even this modest list is more of a job for 3-4 people.

Since you didn't provide a link or screenshots or anything else, all of this is just speculation on my part, but those are a few possible reasons. A potential solution to the issues i mentioned: Hire an artist/artists (pay them $$$ not "profit share") to finish part of a level (enough to run around in and work as a demo segment) , 1 character, 1 enemy, and animations. Get that little segment of the game working correctly in code. You'll have a segement that looks like the final version, which will give incentive to better artists to join for profit-share, give them a nice backdrop for their portfolio pieces if the project is never finished or never makes money, and it will also motovate the existing team.

I think overall its probably easier to find programmers to work on a game because programmers depend on artists to make their code look like a game. Artist do not depend on programmers to make their art look like art.

So where are better places to find artists?

Lead Coder/Game Designer for Brutal Nature: http://BrutalNature.com

So where are better places to find artists?

Have you already tried art forums?

It's easy to find artists if you have a game company, a website, you're located near art schools, and you're hiring for money. Have you tried all of those?

[Edit] Never mind - I see that you're not doing those things. Yes, that would be hard indeed.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Take a look at the game in my signature.

This game has been produced without any 3D artist on the project.

How did I do this?

1) use free art and sound resources like opengameart.org and be prepared to adjust them
2) use free animation resources like mixamo.com for skeletal animations and rigging
3) use photometry and programs like meshlab to create models from photography.
4) learn the basics of blender and gimp or photoshop so you can make adjustments to assets
5) pay for assets from places like 3dmodels-textures.com as these sort of places do common AAA grade models and textures very cheap (some of my models come from there and cost about £15 each)

Good luck!

"It's a profit sharing project."

That's the problem. If it was profit-sharing, no artist wanted to work with me. If I paid them, it's a different story altogether.

But art doesn't have to be expensive. I spent about $400 on art for my current game, using a combination of asset packs and a good artist to make the custom ones (about $10 per medium sized asset).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement