🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game dev. as hoobie

Started by
3 comments, last by Delisk 24 years, 5 months ago
Tell me if im wrong... Most post seem to come from newbie who want to become a pro NOW ! and belive than they will get in the proffesional game industry...and most seem to wan it now! I make game as a hobbie...i know java (but not like a pro) and make small game wich i know i will make them... Most pepoles here seem to want to make a game tath will beat the best games...Im sure most of those pepole willnot finish their project! Delisk
Advertisement
I don''t think there''s anything wrong with wanting to get into the industry now, as long as people realize the skills they''ll need to get in, nor with having the confidence that they''ll be able to get in. I doubt most people think they''ll produce a game that will be better than the top ones that are out. Those that do probably are very new and don''t realize the work that it takes to put out a top game. Those people just need a little more knowledge.

Breakaway Games

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Still, after making a few attempts to do your own state of the art games, and of course, not being able to finish them, you have still learnt (or learned, yeah i read that post ) alot.
I think many people come here as gamers, thinking that making games must not be that hard, and they want to be like their heroes, so they try to write the next {INSERT POPULAR GAME}-killer. They either give up on it and disappear, or learn from it, get a clue, and realize that getting to that point is going to take some work, so they either make it a hobby or make a comittment.
... Or they lie about their abilities and try to use vaporware to "impress" everyone.

Mason McCuskey
Spin Studios - home of Quaternion, 2000 GDC Indie Games Fest Finalist!
www.spin-studios.com
Founder, Cuttlefish Industries
The Cuttlefish Engine lets anyone develop great games for iPad, iPhone, Android, WP7, the web, and more!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement