🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Banned from chat and cannot use PM system on forums either?

Started by
18 comments, last by fastcall22 7 years, 5 months ago
What is happening? Am I ever getting unbanned?
Advertisement

I have no idea why we should allow you to participate in the chatroom anymore with your behavior, especially given the latest ban evasion. Every couple days I either have another user complaining about you or another moderator updating the rest of us on the latest trouble you've created.

As far as the PM system, I don't see anything that would indicate any restrictions there.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Every couple days I either have another user complaining about you

I have never seen that. The stuff or trouble I do is done by everyone (like talking about poop) but is only noticed when I do it. You can ask everyone in the chatroom, I am sure most people don't have problems with me. That wasn't ban evasion. If I wanted to do that, I'd never let anyone know that it was me. I didn't have any other way to contact cause I wasn't sharing the same server and Josh (Hodgman is always afk) wouldn't accept my friend request. I couldn't even PM on forums so I left that issue last night and created this thread today. I have no idea why such an small issue (talking about poop) was taken so seriously. And they think I harassed vivi into asking personal information when it was just a normal conversation with a friend. There's so much more cases like that where I am having a fun conversation with a friend and it's taken as something offensive. When I say this, Josh tells me to have that conversation in private but it's not practical to goto private messaging when we are already in the middle of a conversation. At this point it's just mods who hate me trying to get me out of the chat by nit picking. Any normal user (i.e not a mod) who was there while I was talking about that (poop) would agree that it wasn't a big deal. Not sure if this helps but I was also having some bad time and wanted to do something funny to relieve stress (>inb4 GDNet chat is not the place to have fun).

Also, will mods not get bored when you don't have anyone around to kick?
You can ask everyone in the chatroom, I am sure most people don't have problems with me.

[...]

Any normal user (i.e not a mod) who was there while I was talking about that (poop) would agree that it wasn't a big deal.

FYI, we have had members complain about your behaviour, it is not just moderators who deem some of your behaviour unacceptable.

Most members who use the chat never get kicked, and for many more, it's a very rare (often unique!) occurrence. Then there's less than a handful of members including yourself who are kicked/banned regularly. We are happy for people to have fun in the chat room, and we'll give people another chance if they're just blowing off steam or having a bad day and say/do something acceptable, but if you're being kicked on a regular basis you're doing something wrong and refusing to correct that behaviour.

You're welcome to relieve stress in the GDNet chat room without talking about poo, or any of the other behaviours that have resulted in a kick. Many other members do so without incident.

If you want to talk about those things, you're welcome to take it to another chat room, private message, or other medium.

On a separate matter, you should be able to send private messages here on the site.

What happens when you try to do so? Is there a certain error message, or is the send button missing, or any other details you could provide?

- Jason Astle-Adams

You can ask everyone in the chatroom, I am sure most people don't have problems with me.
[...]
Any normal user (i.e not a mod) who was there while I was talking about that (poop) would agree that it wasn't a big deal.

FYI, we have had members complain about your behaviour, it is not just moderators who deem some of your behaviour unacceptable.

Most members who use the chat never get kicked, and for many more, it's a very rare (often unique!) occurrence. Then there's less than a handful of members including yourself who are kicked/banned regularly. We are happy for people to have fun in the chat room, and we'll give people another chance if they're just blowing off steam or having a bad day and say/do something acceptable, but if you're being kicked on a regular basis you're doing something wrong and refusing to correct that behaviour.

You're welcome to relieve stress in the GDNet chat room without talking about poo, or any of the other behaviours that have resulted in a kick. Many other members do so without incident.
If you want to talk about those things, you're welcome to take it to another chat room, private message, or other medium.

On a separate matter, you should be able to send private messages here on the site.

What happens when you try to do so? Is there a certain error message, or is the send button missing, or any other details you could provide?
I do believe my behaviour has been unaaceptable but I do not believe that what I did (talking about poo) deserved a mute for 4 days and then straight permanent ban without any info. Also, I mostly always do my silly stuff like playing with texbot in another chatroom (#junk) but I've also been told to stop doing things there I.e even when it doesn't bother anyone (like seeing random urban dictionary definition).

On that pm thing: the option to send a PM was available when I first logged in and then when I tried to send a message, it told me I did not have permission to send PMs and the option to send a pm from anyone's profile disappeared.
Well here is my two cents, I know people liked having newt around, he made the chat more lively in my opinion. I didn't see him personally do anything to get banned , maybe muted for talking too much about poop recently? Or spamming the junk channel, which that doesn't really matter, it's basically there for that. I thought of newt as part of the chat community there, a friend of ours, and now it's like he got the death penalty and can never ever come back there. To me it seems too extreme. Like I said though i haven't seen him being much of a nuisance and I've seen more people than not ask for him back. Chat actually seems more dull to me now.
I think you are missing a critical point that it's not the last thing you did that was particularly ban worthy. It is the sum total, and frequency, of all the incidents that have ever required moderator intervention or discussion over the lifetime of the (Discord version of) chat.

A critical component in any discussion whether or not to give someone one more chance is their ability to understand the full scope of their issues. So far I don't see you demonstrating that.

I do see the issue you are reporting with your PM interface basically not being usable. I don't know what is causing that yet.

EDIT: You had private messaging disabled in your privacy settings. I forced it back on.

I think you are missing a critical point that it's not the last thing you did that was particularly ban worthy. It is the sum total, and frequency, of all the incidents that have ever required moderator intervention or discussion over the lifetime of the (Discord version of) chat.

A critical component in any discussion whether or not to give someone one more chance is their ability to understand the full scope of their issues. So far I don't see you demonstrating that.

I do see the issue you are reporting with your PM interface basically not being usable. I don't know what is causing that yet.

EDIT: You had private messaging disabled in your privacy settings. I forced it back on.

Okay.

Will I ever get unbanned in future?

Every couple days I either have another user complaining about you

I have never seen that. The stuff or trouble I do is done by everyone (like talking about poop) but is only noticed when I do it. You can ask everyone in the chatroom, I am sure most people don't have problems with me. That wasn't ban evasion. If I wanted to do that, I'd never let anyone know that it was me. I didn't have any other way to contact cause I wasn't sharing the same server and Josh (Hodgman is always afk) wouldn't accept my friend request. I couldn't even PM on forums so I left that issue last night and created this thread today. I have no idea why such an small issue (talking about poop) was taken so seriously. And they think I harassed vivi into asking personal information when it was just a normal conversation with a friend. There's so much more cases like that where I am having a fun conversation with a friend and it's taken as something offensive. When I say this, Josh tells me to have that conversation in private but it's not practical to goto private messaging when we are already in the middle of a conversation. At this point it's just mods who hate me trying to get me out of the chat by nit picking. Any normal user (i.e not a mod) who was there while I was talking about that (poop) would agree that it wasn't a big deal. Not sure if this helps but I was also having some bad time and wanted to do something funny to relieve stress (>inb4 GDNet chat is not the place to have fun).

Also, will mods not get bored when you don't have anyone around to kick?

I don't know who you are in the chat as I don't really follow it often, but reading through your post, i can't help but remember the adage that if you keep having the same problem over and over with different people, then the problem isn't the other people,

if you keep having the same problem over and over with different people

I don't.

I don't have issues with everyone. Maybe this is rubbish, I don't know what I am talking about. I don't have issue with everyone, I actually enjoy talking to different people.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement