🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Why is the forum center justified? How do I change this?

Started by
49 comments, last by LennyLen 7 years, 4 months ago

centered.jpg

Advertisement

In my case only 33% of horizontal space is being used. Ridiculous design.

Cu5jaWt.png

It's also distracting since my eye naturally goes to the left side to start reading. But I didn't start this to be critical. How do I fix it?

[edit]

WOAH! The recent journal and thread side bars are gone! No no no. This will not do at all!

Well this is new.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Well this is new.

I'm not opposed to change, but WOW! :blink:

Here’s a quick user style sheet to maximize the content width for now:

.gamedev-content-container {
	width:  initial !important;
}

.gamedev-content {
	float:    none;
	width:    unset;
	overflow: hidden;
}

I'm really curious why this was done. I have a 1080p monitor and have the browser window maximized at all times. Why am I seeing what is basically a mobile site on my desktop? Please tell me this is an error.

Here’s a quick user style sheet to maximize the content width for now:

.gamedev-content-container {
	width:  initial !important;
}

.gamedev-content {
	float:    none;
	width:    unset;
	overflow: hidden;
}

When it comes to the internet and networking, I am functionally illiterate. How do I use that?

There are browser addons that allow you to override stylesheets with your own. I like to use `Stylish`.
After installing, create a new style for `gamedev.net`, and paste these rules in. :^)

There are browser addons that allow you to override stylesheets with your own. I like to use `Stylish`.
After installing, create a new style for `gamedev.net`, and paste these rules in. :^)

Awesome! Thanks!

The recent journal and thread side bars are gone! No no no. This will not do at all!

Are you referring to the blocks on the side? Keep in mind, iterative design.. those are easily added/removed, but to start we've attempted to standardize the sidebar across the site.

In my case only 33% of horizontal space is being used. Ridiculous design.

A few complaints about really high resolutions. These resolutions are not normal and admittedly got less attention - our traffic in this resolution range is < 1% with 1600px width being the most common. We went with a fairly web standard 1200px content width with sidebar, so if the sidebar doesn't show then it definitely looks worse.

Meanwhile, considering ways to retain the design aesthetic while accommodating larger screen resolutions.

Some pages, like the forum index, will undergo more changes. But we wanted to get the design out so users can become familiar with it before we made even bigger changes to frequently used pages.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement