🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

So, here’s the short plan, see if you can destroy it. If it stands, it’s worth something.

Started by
4 comments, last by kseh 6 years, 11 months ago

So, here’s the short plan, see if you can destroy it.

If it stands, it’s worth something.

I have an android/ios phone, possibly console/pc w/controller game idea that can be done for 15 or more builds, (1 of many ideas,) and that’s it.

No money, no experience, working a construction job. I know I have a lot to contribute, just indirectly. Games are too complicated to do oneself if you cant do it as a day job. You need a guy for that job. Looking at the responses in the forums probably 5 to 8 guys.

I’ve gotta plan for that. Everyone works 2hrs a day until it’s done and gets paid twice as much for what they did at release, and a small percentage for 3 yrs, 3 month build. All the builds after that market that first build. I get paid last, my corporation will own all content.

My concern is to begin to build a brand and a reputation, a firm studio and foundation to get done some interesting work. This is the first step.

And everyone’s a tester. Everyone is essentially working for themselves and feel that way, which is how to get the best out of people. This is a comedy game, and it could be just a ball to make.

The idea in general terms is a 2d isometric room, think pac-mannish with puzzle elements, densely packed with  interactables and content for multiple runthroughs.

Using the company halfbrick’s game jetpack joyride financial model (also for android/ios, console and omg youtube gdc jetpack joyride postmortem ), 3 or 2 or .99 at release and freemium later. Need awesome trailer and splashscreen.

It is my intent by submitting this short plan to polish it with guidance into a working model. I sincerely appreciate your opinion and intend to resubmit once a day until it works.

Thank you.

Advertisement
1 minute ago, Moonpuncher said:

and intend to resubmit once a day until it works.

If you mean "resubmit" here (as in re-post), please don't do that. You're welcome to engage in a discussion with the larger community about your plan, but there's no need to re-post it daily.

As for your actual plan:

5 minutes ago, Moonpuncher said:

idea that can be done for 15 or more builds

What do you mean by "build," here? You keep using that word, but it doesn't make sense in context. Do you mean a build is like a shipping version of the game, so you'll ship the initial game (one build) and then 14 more content updates afterwards?

6 minutes ago, Moonpuncher said:

I’ve gotta plan for that. Everyone works 2hrs a day until it’s done and gets paid twice as much for what they did at release, and a small percentage for 3 yrs, 3 month build. All the builds after that market that first build. I get paid last, my corporation will own all content.

And everyone’s a tester. Everyone is essentially working for themselves and feel that way, which is how to get the best out of people.

Everyone is actually working for you. And the people you want working for you will know that, they aren't going to be suckered in by hype like "everybody is working for themselves." They're smarter than that, so I'd recommend you don't try to pitch that angle.

How are you expecting to hold everybody to this "two hours a day" schedule? Two hours is too small a time window to produce a usable, measurable artifact on a daily basis. What does getting paid "twice as much for what they did" mean? Twice as much as what? What is the "small percentage," and what is it a percentage of? What accounting method do you use to arrive at that value.

Your business plan here needs a lot of work and a lot more detail if you expect worthwhile developers to be interested. I think you are being extremely idealistic and, consequently, unrealistic in your expectations of why anybody would want to work for you, a self-proclaimed neophyte when it comes to game development.

10 minutes ago, Moonpuncher said:

This is a comedy game, and it could be just a ball to make

Unfortunately making the game itself usually bears little to no resemblance to what playing it will be like. It's not "scary" to make zombie games. It's not going to be intrinsically funny or even fun to make a comedy game.

I just wrote this article a few days ago:
https://medium.com/@Slayemin/your-indie-game-dev-team-will-fail-108d4b663e7e

Check it out.

Having your team members work 2 hours a day is going to be the biggest flaw in your plan. Also, having 5-8 people is also a major problem. Your game should be something that 1-2 people can produce in 3 weeks spending 40 hours a week -- keep your scope small enough to satisfy that criteria! Also, be prepared to spend 50% of your budget on advertising and marketing.

5 hours ago, Moonpuncher said:

And everyone’s a tester. Everyone is essentially working for themselves and feel that way, which is how to get the best out of people. This is a comedy game, and it could be just a ball to make.

I just want to say, in the event that you end up trying to go forward, get people that are not your developers to do your QA. Your developers are too close to the stuff they're working on and are going to be far too busy to switch hats to QA someone else's work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement