Advertisement

Simple Android Strategy game

Started by November 03, 2017 12:45 PM
5 comments, last by Oakman771 6 years, 10 months ago
Hello everybody  

I am interested in learning how to develop an app/game for Android devices. I have experience with UE4 and know the basics of C++.  Would a very simple version of
Armory & Machine be a good starter project? It should not contain physics or AI or similar. What would be the way to make something like that? I read a lot about Java related to Android on the internet.

Thanks for your help!

Think about the game for a bit.  Do you already know how you would make all the parts?  Are there any parts that you could not make given your current skills and abilities?

If you think you can handle all the parts (or if you're working with people who can complete the parts) then go for it.

If you know there are things you (individually or as a group) cannot do, either think of ways to do what you can, or spend time learning those skills.  After you have the necessary skills, then go for it.

Advertisement

I don't think that I have any skills that are necessary to make this game, apart from knowing basic programming concepts:P.

I probably asked the question unclearly. With this project I would like to learn how to make basic apps/games for android. I searched a lot on the internet, but there are many possibilities, so I don't know which one is the way to go for a Armory and Machine like project.

I thougt something like Armory and Machine would be a good starter project, because its just buttons that are pressed to change some variables.

If you're new to programming, this where you should begin.
https://www.lynda.com/Android-tutorials/Building-Game-App-Android-SDK/383247-2.html

7 hours ago, Oakman771 said:

I thougt something like Armory and Machine would be a good starter project, because its just buttons that are pressed to change some variables.

That is a great reason for picking that as a target.

But if you don't have the skills to target the device, and you don't have the skills to make the buttons yet, then you aren't ready to build that game.

So do more learning, write some code, and try to make those things. There are both the official tutorials and the unofficial tutorials (as was just linked to above). I'd start with trying to create a project on the device.  Once you can create a project, learn how to add UI controls to it.  Once you can create the buttons and text, you can figure out your game logic.  You might end up making several different projects along the way, but you'll learn the pieces you need.

Oke, thanks!

I will checkout those tutorials.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement