🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

View counts off

Started by
3 comments, last by khawk 6 years, 7 months ago

I'm not sure if this has already be addressed before, but I notice the view counts are off for the blogs.  There is a view total for each blog entry, and then a combined total for the blog series.   Thing is these numbers don't match up.  I took a look at some of the blogs with lower total views and noticed that they in fact had been viewed more.   If I'm correct I think each time anyone visits a blog entry the view total for that entry goes up by 1 regardless of how many times you've already viewed it.  So the blog might say it's been viewed 300 times but maybe infact it's only been viewed by 200 different people. 

So what does the total views for a blog series keep track of?  Number of registered logged in users looking at the blog or something?

Advertisement

The views are equivalent to a pageview (updated when a blog entry is loaded). I think what you're talking about is number of uniques as far as the number of unique visitors. The system doesn't differentiate views between members or non-members.

It's also possible in all the years we've had blogs that the definition of "view" has changed from system to system, so older entries may in fact be uniques or use some other measure.

To make this better for members, it's on the list to add an option to set your own Google Analytics tracking ID for your GDNet blog so you can track pageviews and such more directly. Already did the same with a new area we're releasing soon.

Admin for GameDev.net.

I'll just throw this out there, but today I was thinking about your post and I kinda had an idea, you know what would be kinda neat, is if GameDev.net was able to take indie developers and provide them with all of the steps necessary to go from conceptualising a game to a kickstarter~ish campaign.  Now of course not all games would qualify for each subsequent step without certain standards and quality controls being met.  I would bet it may be marketable to the developers.

I'm just talking is all, I don't even know if that is something anyone would be interested in, or if you it's even doable or whatever.  But I just thought I'd share the idea. 

On 11/21/2017 at 5:41 PM, Awoken said:

I'll just throw this out there, but today I was thinking about your post and I kinda had an idea, you know what would be kinda neat, is if GameDev.net was able to take indie developers and provide them with all of the steps necessary to go from conceptualising a game to a kickstarter~ish campaign.  Now of course not all games would qualify for each subsequent step without certain standards and quality controls being met.  I would bet it may be marketable to the developers.

I'm just talking is all, I don't even know if that is something anyone would be interested in, or if you it's even doable or whatever.  But I just thought I'd share the idea. 

Interesting idea.. working on some unrelated but similar things.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement