🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I've gone and made this.

Started by
11 comments, last by h8CplusplusGuru 6 years, 6 months ago

Its a rock music track any feedback is appreciated, thank you.

MIX-2

Life is worth living. It just takes Time.

-Sidney Bogard Cookie Ricketts

Advertisement

It's too noisy. I want to hear the rhythm of the music.

okay, this one weird. The noise, the panning, drives me all crazy. What's it meant to be for?
Sounds like a horror trip to me after abusing the wrong substance.... Or maybe some psycho-killer-thing...
Might be fitting, depending on what you wanted to achieve.

Taken as a regular piece of music, though, I must say "sorry"...
Maybe some lessons on mastering might be helpful. YouTube's got a bunch of it.

It's really hard for me to get what you're trying to say here. The brain and ear need some sort of structure otherwise it gets dismissed as noise and focuses on other things. That's what's happening here with your piece. Too chaotic, too much panning and dissonance to make a clear idea of the main theme. 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

As a Frank Zappa fan, I get where you are going with this.  But only a very small audience get's this type of music, most simply hear it as noise.  Alex Lifeson spent months creating the theme song for Andromeda.  There are over 20,000 guitars playing at the same time at one point during that theme.  Alex loved it, just about everyone else hated it.

I would try to be more traditional, and not go for sounds that only musicians understand.

"I wish that I could live it all again."

I agree with most of what everyone else has said, but here's some more specific feedback.

1. The second chord has a flat 2 in the bass, and scale degree 5 in a sort of tenor voice. That awkward tritone so early on is pretty jarring, even for what you're going for. Try replacing the B in that chord with a C and you'll have a much less dissonant harmony. 

2. Similarly, there's some pretty weird rhythmic dissonance going on in the cymbals. It sounds like your one measure long drum loop has cymbal hits on the 2nd sixteenth note of beats 3 and 4. That really throws off your perception of the quarter note pulse. Every once in a while, this sort of syncopation is awesome, but when it's baked into a drum loop, it makes the whole pattern feel off kilter. 

3. From a production standpoint, there seems to be some wildly harsh compression going on at that cause the whole mix to pulsate irregularly. Try mixing your instruments quieter to begin with. It'll make mastering the track a lot easier. 

On 12/5/2017 at 6:54 PM, Kavik Kang said:

As a Frank Zappa fan, I get where you are going with this.  But only a very small audience get's this type of music, most simply hear it as noise.  Alex Lifeson spent months creating the theme song for Andromeda.  There are over 20,000 guitars playing at the same time at one point during that theme.  Alex loved it, just about everyone else hated it.

I would try to be more traditional, and not go for sounds that only musicians understand.

Not to be harsh to the OP or anything... but when I listen to Frank Zappa I hear interesting and in some cases strange music that is still really well produced and clear. When I listen to the OP's music, it's the actual production that is making me lose track and get distracted. Another similar group (that does really different, virtuosic rock) is Mr. Bungle (which I love) and I think the OP's music has a lot of technical issues, aside from creative aspects, that are causing this piece to have many issues. 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Yes, I would agree with that too.  Conceptually, he seems to be going for something like a heavy metal version of the music from FZ's "Make a Jazz Noise Here", but it is also "muddy" in some ways.  If he is going for that modern "RARGH-RARGH-RARGH" type of metal that I don't even know the name of, and really don't like at all, he isn't actually far off from that... "sound".  I guess someone who likes that style of music would have to judge it from that perspective, because in that case I am the one who just hears "noise".

"I wish that I could live it all again."

Its kind of painful to listen to

(edited by mod) 

Please don't hijack threads. As Michael mentioned - make your own thread instead of derailing the discussion. Thanks!

Your resource for original music and sounds. https://rockandrollgasstation.bandcamp.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement