Advertisement

Help with Low poly RPG - can I get the needed know how?

Started by January 20, 2018 02:26 PM
12 comments, last by settlerUnseen 6 years, 7 months ago

It took me several years to be able to program my own real full featured RPG, and I've been at this for 15+ years. Programming in general takes a lot of time to learn the craft, and is not something people pick up within a few months.

Yes, I must have known this from the start ;) So for me that's plenty much time i can't afford. So i will work on my artistic skills and try to start as a freelancer in 3-4 years maybe...

When you start learning something new, you can't just expect to be an expert within an hour. But whatever you do, try to break it up in smaller tasks/steps, to keep the complexity low and the motivation up.

Yeah... Don't know why i thought i can realize this with tutorials and learning a few coding things... This seems to be a lifetime task. It's a dream for me but unreachable. had to start when i was much younger.
I can't keep motivation if the result is still not that what i wanted after 5 years... My motivation to craft a tic tac toe game is simply not existent,.. :( So maybe game programing is simply the wrong thing for me.
Maybe i can manage in a few years to bring my skills as an artist into concept art. That's much more realistic for me. ;) It's a pity though cause my game design ideas will be a lot better than the ones i will work for, but... ;D

Take a Chef for example, you don't see people learning to cook go from a basic soup to making six course grand TV worthy meals right away, it takes a strong foundation and a lot of time.

Chef is the job i learned 7 years ago. The first soup i have to cook was a green cress cream soup. The same one that was in the menu and no simple basic soup. Cause no one in our restaurant want to eat a simple basic soup. All i have to create in my first year were things that the guests have to eat, so it have to be perfect. But cooking is a lot different from coding, trust me ;D

3 hours ago, Zlux said:

Chef is the job i learned 7 years ago. The first soup i have to cook was a green cress cream soup. The same one that was in the menu and no simple basic soup. Cause no one in our restaurant want to eat a simple basic soup. All i have to create in my first year were things that the guests have to eat, so it have to be perfect. But cooking is a lot different from coding, trust me ;D

I don't think you're getting the point, it's not about being the same, it's the concept of progressive growth and understanding. I have cooks in my family and what they were able to make on day 1 isn't the same after a few years. What you could do or understood on day 1 is simply not the same after 7 years. I'm sure you're able to break down ingredients to the point where you can make custom meals because you're able to add ingredients that go well together, not just follow someone else's recipe. This is the same concept with programming. When you start out you're using another Chef's recipe because you don't have the ability to go into a kitchen and make AAA style meals from random ingredients. The same applies with programming, you start off by making simple programs, and by following instructions to understand the components and concepts of the language, then at some point you understand majority of what you have to work with and can craft your applications without the need of books, tutorials, or guides.

I honestly don't think coding is for you, you're not looking at the programming as a progressive progress, you simply do not just read tutorials and you're good to go. You require very logical and analytical thinking in order to excel in this field once basic concepts are learned, but if you're looking to skip the building blocks you will not succeed. Unless you want to learn "programming" bad enough you will not find that motivation. Motivation comes after action, not before.

I wish you the best in your artistic journey going forward in game development. You will find lots of programmers looking to team up with an artist out there.

Programmer and 3D Artist

Advertisement

Hey Zlux,

I am in a similar situation as you - although on the other side, I focus on programming and have no artistic skills. So, togehter with a friend, we are looking to build a small team. Besides programming we have now character concept art and environmental art and maybe sound covered.

(post is not up to date)

Send me a pm if you are interested in joining us.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement