Advertisement

New here and to programming

Started by February 05, 2018 12:36 AM
8 comments, last by jbadams 6 years, 7 months ago

HI All!

I'm new to the Forum and to programing in general. I've been learning with a series of video for Unity I purchased from Udemy. I don't know anyone in the real world whom has programming experience or any artist really or anything. I just wanted to meet some People with similar Interest and to build a social network useful going forward on my journey of game design. 

Welcome to the community.

There is a lot of Unity users here and lots of developers willing to help. Don't be afraid to share your own opinions or to help others.

Advertisement

Hey Michael,

I'm also looking to get together with people who want to learn game development. I've been coding for a while, but I do mostly web and mobile apps, not games. It'd be cool as a motivation to have some kind of weekly (or monthly) assignments that match our skill levels, like - let's build a pacman clone in a month or something like that. It could start very simple but I think this would encourage me (and hopefully others) to keep the ball rolling.

I'm not sure how to start this journey though - any ideas?

Hello Red and Micheal,

I posted a longer message in RedBlue's thread, but I figured I would post here as well.  I think getting a group together to learn Unity or UDK collaboratively is a excellent idea.  My time is short as I work full-time and attend school full-time, but I would love to participate.  Have you guys given any thought to attempting to find a mentor for the group?

The Quarry Works Creed

We who shape mere stone must always envision cathedrals

I think both ideas are great. The challenge projects are a great way to figure out where we know enough and where we need learn More.

The mentor for group it's a really great idea. Someone to help and direct studies. I don't know any one too recommend though.

My time is Also short. I work full time with regular over time. Most of my time for learning Comes on weekends.

Red,

Tell me More about how you see these challenges working. Would it  like we decide on a pacman clone and we each work on one and compare results?

9 hours ago, redblue said:

It'd be cool as a motivation to have some kind of weekly (or monthly) assignments that match our skill levels, like - let's build a pacman clone in a month or something like that. It could start very simple but I ...

Have you had a look at GameDev Challenges subforum? It seems to provide the kind of monthly assingments/challenges you're talking about

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

Advertisement

That is actually a great resource. I wish this current challenge wasn't multiplayer. ......

2 hours ago, Michael Kister said:

That is actually a great resource. I wish this current challenge wasn't multiplayer. ......

You only need to have one of the three listed: Local, Online, or AI based. The challenge can be easily completed by making a single player version, then adding a second pac-man which is controlled by another input source. Example: Player 1 - WASD, Player 2 - ARROWS or Numpad Arrows. The challenge is very doable if you avoid networking, and A.I. based helper if you're new.

Programmer and 3D Artist

11 hours ago, Michael Kister said:

If you're not confident with the current challenge, there's nothing stopping you from working through the older completed ones in your own time. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement